Heart Disease Community
Cure for SVT

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Cure for SVT

I was diagnosed with SVT almost 2 years ago.  I have had two ablations and still have numerous problems.  I need advice as to what the "cure" may be...I am only 26 years old and I have been unsuccessful at finding research to support long term medication use.  (I recently got married and we want to have kids someday. I don't feel there is enough research on the risks of the medication on pregnancy).  Currently my doctors are considering a defibrillator, pacemaker, or even another type of ablation to keep me off the medication and control the episodes which can get as high as 230 bpm.  I have been off the medications for over 2 months and now get between 15-25 episodes a day.  I am beginning to get very frustrated and need advice from fellow sufferers.
Hi, I also have SVT and can totally relate to your frustration. I am 27 yrs ld and want to start a family but before i can i need to find a "cure" for the svt. I am on a very very low dose of a beta blocker (which i don't even think helps with the svt) and have been told that it is not advised to take beta blockers in the first 2-3 months of pregnancy after that it is fine. I have not had an ablation yet but am considering it. I am sorry that your ablations were unsuccessful. Which medication were you on, was it a beta blocker? How long do your episodes last? A defribilator or pacemaker seem abit extreme for SVT?
I'm also sorry that i don't have any real advice for you as i too am seeking advice! Just thought to let you know that you are not alone.

I have tried almost all medications...Toporal (which I was up to 150 mg/day) Verapamil, Digoxin, and a combination of the three.  I have between 15-30 episodes a day with my heart rate getting as high as 220+ at times each day.  I feel as if my body never gets to rest and I am always on overtime.  They have been unsuccessful at every attempt to get this under control.  The reason they are talking defib or pacemaker is because I also have a very extreme case of sinus tach.  My resting heart rate rarely goes below 100 bpm.  I do feel as if I am alone and no understands or can relate so it is nice to hear others my age are going through the same things.
I used to have a very high resting rate about 90-110 bpm but it has gradually come down now without any medication. I first noticed it when i was 22 years old but my docs were never concerned about the fast resting rate because i was young. Were you having this many svts even whilst being on the meds?!! How long do your svt episodes last? Have you only had svt for the past 2 years or have you had it for longer?
I have a friend who has had 2 ablations too and her svt still exists. She is on a beta blockers but she can now break her svt episodes straight away with vagal manouevers.
There are others on this forum who suffer from svt and even PVC/PACS so please don't feel alone.
amanda

Are they talking about doing another ablation on you? a sinus node one maybe? i only ask because a pacemaker isnt going to slow your heart down, just pace it back up to normal.

In extreme cases, doctors will try a sinus node ablation, and implant a pace maker to pace the heart back up to a normal rate, but this is pretty extreme..

Are you having another other health issues due to the sinus tach??? i hope you feel better soon!
hey I also have SVT it started when I was about 15 and the docs treated me with metoprolol
to control my racing heart. Then it only happened when I got scared. I was off the meds for over 7 years and nothing happened I experienced a realatively healthy life. until this past year and a half. . until this past year and a half while traveling I began to experience sudden jolts in the middle of the night some times for hours my heart would race 175 bpm or more. Sometimes a whole day.I was put back on metoprolol it would help for a while but I would always feel tired out of breath it would feel like I could get no rest. Now my condition has gotten worse. I am afraid of being alone most of the time for fear of passing out. I have an appointment with an specialist in Boston to see if they cant cure me with ablation. i am so scared now than I ever used to be. I fear my death and want nothing more than to be well again. These attacks make you feel as if you need to run away it feels like you can never get any rest.

I've had SVT's for over 40 years now ... the paramedics used to come to my house about 3 times a week.....I was put on Corgard 40 mg twice a day but found I only needed 20 mg twice a day.
I have very few bouts of SVT's now but when I do, I cough really hard and bear down as if having a BM and they soon stop.

It is truly scarey because it feels like I'm going to pass out, but my doctor said if I do pass out, they will stop and I will wake up just fine in a couple of minutes or less.

I was told they weren't life threatening and am afraid to have the ablation done, but if they come back frequently I will consider it.

They really do wear you out and I feel like somebody punched me in the chest afterwards, after all the heart is biggest muscle in the body and really gets tired after a workout of SVT's.

Anxiety, a full stomach pressing on the heart, and worry can cause an attack, but  you will come out of it. My heartbeat goes up to 300 or more when I have these attacks and I feel like I'm going to die, but after 40 years of this, I should know better.

The Corgard has been a life saver to me as it truly helps keep SVT's under control 95% of the time.

God bless all of us.... be well, and try not to worry.

Gina
Ok, I know this post was 5 years ago, but for anyone with the same question, I want to answer it.  I was diagnosed with svt in 2002 when I was 17.  I would have multiple episodes a day.  I had an ablation and was placed on a beta blocker.  Most of my issues were resolved.  I have had 2 kids while on bisoprolol and metoprolol and while on bisoprolol, my first one's only issues was that he had a hard time gaining weight, but at the age of 2, he had caught up.  He is completely normal other than that.  I had a girl while on metoprolol.  She also was a skinny baby, but completely normal.  I did have some bad episodes of svt while pregnant that were scary, but for me it was well worth it.
Hello SVT sufferers
              many people with this are having a reaction to amino acids added to foods . These  are called "excitotoxins . They are added to enhance flavor instead of expensive seasonings . Most common is aspartame or glutamate . Glutamate is hidden in foods under names like" Flavorings"or natural flavorings  . You need to look up all the other hidden sources and start reading labels . Restaurant meals are very dangerous because the help does not understand what is in the food . The internet has a lot of info on these additives .
I also have SVT i had done Ablations but still some problem is there my doctor told so same.Nowdays my indian doctor told me that, some types of yoga are may help to Restore SVT damaged to our hart and also prevent episods so,here are that yogas. I am doing this at morning for 30 min as times go u can increase this Time limit to do yoga. To learn this plz google it you will dafinetly find it and dl as instruction.
1. Pranayam
2. Anulom vilom
3. Omkar
4. Kapalbhati pryanama