Heart Disease Community
Cyanosis-blue nails

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Cyanosis-blue nails

I have had half blue nails for 2 months now. I feel like I am having trouble breathing, but my abg was normal as well as my oxygen levels. I saw a cardio, who did a cardiac MRI and saw nothing concerning. I cannot find a Dr that will take my blue nails seriously and I am terrified. I am only 25 years old and am a non-smoker recently diagnosed with mild acid reflux. My ears had felt like there is a liquid in them and I have a cough with the feeling of something in my throat. I am very weak (probably because I have not been eating well). My nails are not blue due to Raynauds...have looked it up. It is the bottom half of my nailbed that is purplish/bluish and not the skin of my hands. Please if anyone has any advice?? I have been to many Dr.'s who have just waved my concerns off as anxiety.
Have you considered Wilson's disease? This is where your body is unable to remove
excess copper from the body and it builds up in major organs, liver, kidneys, heart, brain, pancreas etc. As symptoms progress you will notice discoloration of the eyes, a
brownish tint. Major organs will start to suffer damage if not treated in time.
Although there is no cure, there is medication which will force the excess copper to be
released in the urine. It just takes a little time to get the correct dosage for your system.
I could be wrong, but it may be worth having tests for this condition.
I got tested for heavy metals, but that came back normal. Both Dr.'s I saw seem to laugh at the idea when i mentioned Wilsons Disease. Do nails get bluish/purplish due to stress or not eating right. I am never cold...so I know it is not that. I am just so scared
If you put your hands into warm water for 10 minutes, what happens?
Believe me ... That is the first thing I tried. It stays the same color...bluish purplish on the bottom half of nail bed. Thanx for trying. I don't feel good and no Drs are helping...very frustrating.
Its usually either a temperature thing or bad circulation.
Hi mnm1207, afraid I don't have the answer either but interested to know if you're any nearer to finding the reason hope you're feeling better. My hands go cold and nails go blue late in the morning when I've been standing at the computer working for a couple of hours. It does concern me. I'm 39. I've recently had other symptoms - chest/back pain especially after light exercise - too scared to do more than walking at the mo - seeing cardiologist in 5 days for treadmill test. Hoping it's down to stress too but you don't have to be a cardiologist to see worrying symptoms!  
omg mnm1207!!

i have almost the same symptoms as you, just so glad someone else has them:) nails just stay the same colour all the time, water or not! just like a shadow, but only half from nail bed.

every doctor i asked doesn't think its anything, but i know it has to be something, because it just occured and i've had it for 7 months now. went to so many specialists, and nothing, i'm just waiting for an exercise test for the heart.

i've looked up all those syndromes and diseases, but none match. i'm thinking it could be some poisoning, but you said you were negative. hmmm, i just want it to go away! i don't know if its to do with the heart, because everywhere i read blue nails mean either heart or lung problems?! hope not.. but is it blue like we have them, or all blue? i don't smoke either, have trouble breathing sometimes, and also have mild acid reflux. hmm..

anyway, hope we figure this out asap:) if i find out anything, i'll let you know, please do the same. thanks!
Stop looking at your nails and stop running from one doctor to another.  It seems that all of you are completely healthy, so stop worrying and start living before it is too late.
try an allergist. could be fluid in ears and nasal drips. asthma can cause hypoxia. blue nails. difficulty breathing. thats what its sounding like.