Heart Disease Expert Forum
Dark thick veins, not pregnant

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Dark thick veins, not pregnant

Hi all. I looked in the mirror last night, and my chest, breasts and arms looked like someone had taken a thick marker and drawn on me. Thick dark blue veins covered the area from the top of my chest all the way down to my wrists. It lasted an hour or so then lightened back to almost normal. Had a total hysterectomy in 2002, so it's not pregnancy. There are extensive circulatory issues (PAD, aortal aneurysm, vericose veins, etc) in my family history, but I don't smoke, eat a healthy vegetarian diet, and exercise. I don't have health insurance, so I can't go get checked unless I believe it's something very serious. Does anyone know if this could be a warning sign of something serious? I often see the veins in my arms get really dark like this, but that was the first time it's been so prominent and widespread, or at least the first time I've seen it.

Thank you in advance for any insight you can offer.  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hey StephanieDay,

It is extremely difficult to give you an accurate diagnosis with the description provided without actually looking at the condition personally but generally speaking peripheral arterial disease of the upper extremities is relatively uncommon as compared to the lower extremities.
I am not sure if this was a one time occurrence or has happened in a recurrent fashion but varicose veins, PAD are conditions that are not fleeting in nature.
I think an isolated episode without antecedent symptoms of chest pain, shortness of breath facial swelling, arm pain or any abnormal upper body symptom should not be bothersome but if this were to happen again or you have any of the symptoms that I have listed, you should certainly seek medical help.

Hope that helps
how did you help this problems