Daughter with SVT? Ablation?
Hello, I have a fourteen year old daughter who recently experienced her first SVT episode.
We did not know she had this condition, and took her to the hospital in the dead of night. Her heart rate was roughly 318, and they had to use a cartoid massage, some breathing maneuvers, and when neither did much to help, a shock pad to bring it back down. Needless to say, it was very frightening.

I looked around online after this incident, and found out that 318 is still quite fast for an SVT episode. We scheduled a pediatric cardiologist appointment a bit after this, and he advised us to watch over our daughter and keep records of any future episodes she would experience in between the first and second appointments with him.
So far, there has only been one episode, and it was definitely not as severe as the first. It lasted only a few minutes, and went away after some breathing maneuvers.

I recently found this community, and have been looking around the SVT related threads. We still are unsure of whether to ablate, or to give my daughter medication to take, or to just leave the issue alone, but I believe that the first two options would be more probable.

If my daughter has to have ablation done, are there any stories to share or is there any advice to give?
Until then, are there any ways she can lower the chances for any future episodes, or perhaps, is there a better way to stop them?

There are no other issues with her health known, other than slightly higher triglycerides.
Hi, understand your predicament. Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) is a rapid heart rhythm originating at or above the atrioventricular node. As a result of this rapid rhythm your daughter can have palpitations, dizziness or sometimes chest pain. Many episodes of SVT soon stop on their own, and no treatment is then needed. It is sometimes possible to stop an episode of SVT by various measures, including drinking a cold glass of water, breath holding, straining, etc. But if the SVT is symptomatic then it may need therapy with medications or sometimes ablation. So, if she is symptomatic her doctor may initiate her on medications and if unresponsive to medications may then plan for ablation. Regards.