Heart Disease Expert Forum
Diagnosis of SVT changing?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Diagnosis of SVT changing?

For the last 10+ years, I have thought that I had SVT, however after an episode over the weekend, I have been told that instead they now suspect that I have Sick Sinus Tachycardia.

I have been told to make an appointment to see a Cardiologist, which I am doing however there is likely going to be a several months waiting period. I guess I just wanted to know how worried I should be and whether I should try find an earlier appointment.

During episodes, my heart rate is typically around 160 bpm and whilst I have been able to resolve with valsalva in the past, I have also had to had cardioversions and adenosine as well to revert my heart. I do not experience any chest pain during episodes. I typically have 1-2 episodes a year and when I haven't done anything, they last for 4-8+ hours. I do have palpitations a lot when I'm tired and recently, I often have strange, mild pain around my shoulder, back and the top of my chest.

I am a 27 year old female, no other health issues, fit and not overweight. I do not get breathless when I exercise and I can run for at least 3 minutes at 12km/hr (what I do at the gym). My bloods and thyroid function tests all came back normal.

My ECG is labelled abnormal and includes a report with a bunch of very scary looking facts and figures. Some of that includes - LAE, consider biatrial enlargement, probable RVH with secondary repol abnormality, ST depr, consider ischemia, inferior leads, baseline wander in lead V5.

HR: 146, RR 412, PR 166, QRSD 85, QT 272, QTc 424. AXIS: P 87, QRS 180, T -45.

Feeling very anxious and scared at the moment which I'm sure isn't helping anything, so if anyone knows anything about this, I would really appreciate any insight/advice.
I'm sorry to hear about your heart rhythm troubles.  SVT is a very broad term, so it's not clear what your diagnosis has been.  SVT can describe anything from atrial flutter, to reentrant tachycardia, to atrial fibrillation.  Similarly, machine interpretations of your EKG tracing are notoriously unreliable. The tracing must be interpreted by a cardiologist in the context of your history.  My recommendation would be to see your cardiologist soon since your symptoms and your concerns about their cause seem to be causing you great anxiety.

In the meantime, you should be comforted by your normal laboratory tests and your excellent functional capacity.  

Sick Sinus Tachycardia is not a term with which I am familiar. Sick sinus syndrome, one the other hand, describes a rhythm disorder of alternating bradycardia and atrial fibrillation, which based on what you tell me, doesn't sound like what you have.  
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank