Heart Disease Expert Forum
Diagnosis of blood clot in Left Ventricle

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

There was a diagnosis made after echo being done of a blood clot appearing in the left ventricle - the patient has had 4 MI's and is on a dose of coumadin to keep his PT at 2-2.5.  We were told by out cardiologist that all that could be done was to increase the coumadin to keep the level between 3.0-4.0.  My question is could anything else be done?  Any articles that I could read on this subject?  Thank You

Dear Betty
Coumadin is the drug of choice for a blood clot in the left ventricle that needs to be treated. Over time, with treatment, these clots tend to dissolve, or become calcified and are then less of a risk of causing a stroke. Other than the coumadin, surgery is the only way to remove a clot; this is usually only done if the patient is going to undergo heart surgery anyway (say a bypass operation).
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.   The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

A related discussion, ventricular blood clot was started.