Heart Disease Community
Diastolic Dysfunction-- Just Diagnosed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Diastolic Dysfunction-- Just Diagnosed

I am 43 years old  and have hypertension, high cholesterol, asthma and type 2 diabetes.
Currently taking medications for cholesterol, asthma, hypertension.  I was admitted to hospital--fainted,  Diagnosed with Left Ventricle Dysfunction according to Echocardiogram and 5 Ekg's  also blood work.
The report on Echo  states:   EF 77% and diastolic dysfunction.  What does this mean?  Is this condition temporary? Can it be cured?  Do I have to take meds for the rest of my life?  

While at hospital stay I was given:

Injections tid of heparin,   81mg bayer aspirin,  vasotec 2.5mg,  hctz 25 mg.  

I have had episodes of coughing, tight chest, tight throat, asthma worsened,  still they kept me on these meds.
I was treated for asthma with nebulizer @ 6 hours, and used my inhaler often.

I am home now still having the same symptoms as I did in hospital. I find myself gasping for air in my sleep.

Prior to me fainting which led me to be hospitalized, I  felt cold all over, pale, palpitations and had to defecate 5 times, urinate 4 times.  I have been dealing with IBS for 6 years now. Just feeling like I have to go rises my blood pressure and gives me palpitations.

Are the meds I mentioned above safe for me to take?  Is the Aspirin causing my asthma to worsen or the Vasotec?

Can I exercise when feeling better?  By the way my A1c is 6.1, it was 6.8 two months ago.

I have been also experiencing diabetic neuropthy-- feeling cold all over--face, eyes, arms, legs, buttocks, feet.

Pain, burning, stabbing--plus coldness in feet.  

Do you think this has to do with my heart or diabetic neuropathy.

Please help no where else to turn.

I am currently looking for a clinic to go to.

QUOTE:
"The report on Echo  states:   EF 77% and diastolic dysfunction.  What does this mean?  Is this condition temporary? Can it be cured?  Do I have to take meds for the rest of my life?"

Normal EF range is 55-75%.  Although it is a little high it certainly can't be cause for Left Ventricle dysfunction!?  It is inconsistant to have a normal EF and a dysfunctional LV!?.  There is right-ventricle heart dysfuncton with preserved EF though.  

Kenkeith,

Please do a search on the term diastolic dysfunction or diastolic heart failure.  What you said is completely wrong.

The heart (any chamber) has two stages to pumping and there can be problems with either stage.  Problems contracting (systolic) cause a drop in the ejection fraction.  Problems filling/relaxing (diastolic) cause symptoms and risks just as bad a systolic heart function, but are more difficult to measure.

It is enitrely possible and frequently happens that someone can experience left sided heart failure with a preserved ejection fraction.

Grandma2be,

Is it temporary?  That depends on the cause.  There aren;t very good direct treatments of diastolic dysfunction like there is for systolic dysfunction.  The hope is that a cause of it is found (often high blood pressure) and by treating the cause, the dysfunction is reversed.  Your doc should be undergoing an extensive search for the cause of your diastolic dysfunction.

Good luck.
Thanks for the correction.  I do know the difference between systole and diastole, and don't need to research as you suggest.  What I said and the context should enable someone with some knowledge (as you point out YOU have) of the subject would know I was referring to systole (pumping phase). So please don't be rude.

Grandma 2be,

Th 77% EF is the amount of blood pumped out with each stroke and slightly higher than normal (it can be the heart is beginning to compensate), but should not be of any concern.

The deficit of blood flow (Ischemia0 can be caused by CAD or by a chronic too-fast heart rate. Ischemia prevents the heart muscle from fully relaxing and increases heart stiffness. Chronic ischemia results in remodeling (enlarged heart) and diastolic heart disorder.  Also, if the heart is over worked caused by chronic high blood pressure or aortic valve problems.  Treat the hbp as you are doing can reverse the remodeling as the heart will find relief in the reduced workload.  Other causes for diastole dysfunction the restriction of filling can be cause by pericarditis - inflammation of the sac around the outside of the heart normal aging can cause some DHF, heart muscle disease, chemotherapy for diseases like cancer and genetic causes (that is not treatable and DHF would probably dx'd as idiopathic  Almost everything else is treatable and the condition should be temporary.

I can't comment on your medicatiion and side effects if any.  When the hpb and heart size returns to normal , you should follow an exercise (aerobic) routine.  Take care.
Had not meant to be rude.

You had stated , "It is inconsistant to have a normal EF and a dysfunctional LV!" finished off with an exclamation point.  I had simply wanted to reassure the OP that what her doctor said was completely plausible and that you can indeed have a dysfunction LV with a normal ejection fraction.

No disrespect intended.
Let me be clear, it is inconsistant to have a dysfunctional LV (systole) and a normal EF.  There can be a dysfunctional LV (diastolic) and EITHER a normal EF or abnormal EF.  It is dysfunctional systole and systole phase only that is totally inconsistant with a normal EF.  My original response referred incorrectly to the systole phase as the LV dysfunction of interest as posted in the first paragraph.  The next paragraph of the original post stated diastolic dysfunction specifically.  Obviously, I overlooked that specificity. You should have been able to figure that for yourself or could have made the distinction.

But you were very quick to say "you are wrong" and to do some research.  I consider that rude as your response to be clear didn't need to reference my response.  I know I wouldn't say that to someone under the same circumstances.   I would just ignore and post my response and point out the difference between LV dysfunction, systole and diastole if so inclined.  LV dysfunction can be systole or diastole!!  Enough said!
She/he had a right to say what she did.  The OP very clearly stated that the ECHO showed "diastolic dysfunction".   If you are going to give advice on life or death situations, it's important to read carefully.  
You do know that this thread is over 4 years old?