Heart Disease Expert Forum
Diastolic Dysfunction and Primary Autoimmune Hypothyroidism

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I was recently diagnosed with primary autoimmune hypothyroidism and have been on Levoxyl(or something like it initially LOL) for over a month. Interestingly, my average blood pressure reading has  significantly declined latley. It was borderline, 130's (sometimnes 140's) over 90's for last few years, but have now been getting readings in the 100's (systolic) with diastolic readings in the upper 60's.
Last echo showed mild diastolic dysfunction and had me wondering if the thyroid replacement is causing the BP to fall? Is it possible the diastolic function will show improvement now?
I have always been active, exercise-wise, but have recently also started to be even more active.
Maybe it's because of that?
Thanks for answering.
-Kit
Kit,

Thanks for the post.

Although we usually attribute lower blood pressure with hypothyroidism, both hyper and hypo thyroidism can cause hypertension. So supplementation may be having an effect, although Im not sure if you have changed any other meds.

The most common cause of diastolic dysfunction is high blood pressure and treating blood pressure can improve diastolic function.

Hope this is a start.

Good luck

Diastolic dysfunction is also a marker of an older heart.  Once you get past your 40's, the heart muscle stiffens somewhat, and increases your likelyhood of diastolic dysfunction.  If you are past that age, there is not much that you can do about, as far as I understand.  It is just a natural course of aging.
I AM 50 YEAR OLD  I HAVE LOSE 75 LBS. AND I WALK 4 MILE A DAY BUT MY FEET AND LEGS AND KNEES HAVE FLUID BUILD UP. THAY STAY TIGHT. I TAKE FUROSEMIDE 40MG -- LASIX.
My diastolic goes down into the 30s and 27.  I even had 17 a couple of times.  I take Atenolol 25 mg once a day and 1/2 Maxzide every 2nd day.

Doctor doesn't seem too concerned about this...but, I am so short of breath and very tired most of the time.  I have dysfunctional diastolic.  I just wonder if sometimes my blood pressure is 74/38.....and most of the time the diastolic is in low 40s and mid 30s.  
I am imagining that my short of breathness and tiredness comes from this.  My heart sometimes beats real fast and I have pressure in my chest on and off for years.  My EKG shows normal.  I have gone to ER once and all came out okay.  I just hate to go to ER each time I feel this way.  I would be there several times daily.
Does anyone have any similar problems?
Thank you.