Heart Disease Expert Forum
Diastolic Murmur
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Diastolic Murmur

I recently took a pre-employment medical and the clinic doctor found the following:

"Early diastolic murmur, Grade I, heard at left 4th intercostal space, radiating to apex.  Asymptomatic of unknown significance.  Normal ECG.  Also very faint late diastolic sound, suggestive of split S1.  No previous family history.  Blood pressure 120/70."

I am 29 and this is the first time I have had anyone tell me they heard a murmur.  I have an echo scheduled although the results won't be available for sometime.  Just curious what the possibilities are based on what the clinic doctor found.  I follow a fairly intense cardio workout routine and have had no symptoms associated with exercise so far.  
Dear websm008

It is very likely that you have mild aortic insufficiency if you truly have a diastolic murmur. This refers to a small amount of leakage of the aortic valve. Since you are not having any symptoms at this point in time, nothing really needs to be done other than monitoring your echocardiogram at 1-2 year intervals.
Clearly, the echocardiogram is the most important investigation to establish a conclusive diagnosis.
Hope that helps
CCFHeartMD19
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity