Heart Disease Community
Did Anyone Have False Readings Nuclear Stress Tests

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I am a 62-yr. old woman who was suffering from extreme fatigue as my primary complaint.  I won't go into all the boring details, but it took some effort on my part to convince my doctors that I was concerned about my heart. I was given a nuclear stress test. My cardiologist said it showed no problems except that the bottom of my heart was beating slower than the top of my heart. He said he couldn't see it well on test results because of a shadow, but that if I wanted to look into it further that I should let him know. He did not sound concerned, so I was not going to push him any further. But another doctor I know strongly recommended that I follow up. So I did. The subsequent heart catherization  showed three major blockages: 100%, 85%, and 70+%. It also showed that I had had a heart attack in the lower portion of my heart. I had triple bypass beating heart surgery in September; all went well, and I healed quickly. My question is: Why did my nuclear stress test show nothing wrong? Are false negatives common? Where can I get more information on this topic?  Thank you for your help.
My nuclear stress test amazed my cardiologist. I was very lucky in that I had already had an angiogram which showed my left artery as being a real mess, there was hardly anything in the vessel. A nuclear test was performed to see if ischemia was present, or any heart tissue had died. The results showed that the perfusion of all heart tissue was fantastic and there were no areas with a deficit of blood supply. My cardiologist stated it was a good job that I had already been given an angiogram or from these results I would have been sent home.
I was told during my nuclear scan that the images themselves are not sent to the cardiologist. Just as with an echo, an 'expert' interprets the images and fills out a document for the cardiologist to use. This interpretation can obviously be wrong at times, we are all human.
I have several questions that maybe someone can help me with. I an not take statins drugs because they affect my head, one almost gave me a stroke and they affect my liver. Are there any non-statins or anything else I can take? Secondly, I've had non-medical stents going back several years and only had an occassional problem. About 10 months ago I began having medical stents-about three since then-that seem to cause more problems because I got more symptoms and had to have more put in since then. Medical stents are suppose to be better but could they be the culprit of making it worse? And finally, from what I've read and seen in the comments here I'm still trying to discern how much of the heart a catherization and a stress show and the accuracy between them. Thank you.
Check out Ezetimibe.