Heart Disease Community
Did I have a Minor Heart Attack

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Did I have a Minor Heart Attack

I'm 19 and In good health, I weigh around 135 or so pounds and I'm 5' 7". I haven't exercised in a couple weeks because I was sick, but I usually run a couple times a week when I can. Lately I only started to eat bad this past week but for the most part I eat healthy. Just yesterday I went out to play soccer with some friends and so when I over exerted myself I got a pin point pain in the middle of my heart and almost passed out, in fact I felt extremely light headed and a bit confused. I thought maybe it was because I was out of shape since I haven't worked out in a while. Well it happened a couple more times and so I decided to stop playing soccer for the day. I called my father(who is a doctor) and told him and said that I should go get an ekg scan, that I might have an enlarged heart. He also pointed out that because I have somewhat of a concaved chest it might be a sign of some other heart condition that I can't even pronounce. He never said that I had a heart attack, however from what I gathered online it seems to point to a minor heart attack. So I'm wondering what are the chances that I had one. I just want to say, this has never happened to me before.

What is your father is referring to is Pectus Excavatum.
Pectus excavatum is a disorder of the ribs and sternum – or, more precisely, of the cartilage that connects ribs to the lower part of the sternum or breastbone. Someone with mild pectus excavatum will appear to have a slightly sunken area in the middle of the chest; more extreme cases look like the front of the chest is caved in or funneling inwards.

Although the cause isn't clear, there does seem to be a genetic factor in pectus excavatum and it typically shows up in families. About one third of children with signs of pectus excavatum have a close relative with the condition. In 80% of people with funnel chest, the defect is noticeable at birth. In other cases, it becomes visible during puberty, when bones grow and the condition becomes more pronounced. It may be totally superficial, but in some cases it can affect the capacity and function of the heart and lungs.

In some cases, pectus excavatum can be completely harmless and is only a cosmetic problem; in other individuals, it can be very dangerous. This depends almost completely on how severe the indent in the chest proves to be.

I don't believe you had a heart attack.  More likely it was an innocent spasm of coronary vessels.  With an enlarged heart and pectus excavatum, there can be an additional crowding out effect of the organs within the chest wall that can be problematic.