Heart Disease Community
Did I have a heart attack?

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Did I have a heart attack?

I am a 26 year old female and last week I started having pain/discomfort in my left upper chest in the collarbone area and Wednesday I started hurting in my brestbone/middle of my chest.  I went to the ER Thursday night where they did EKG, Chest XRay, and bloodwork and the doctor also pressed on my brestbone/sternum.  He said it wasn't my heart and that I have costochondritis.  Well yesterday I had cheek pain off and on and then late last night I had stomach cramps and this morning I woke up and the chest pain has dissappeared it only hurts slightly every now and then but nothing like it had been so did I have a heart attack?
If there was pain when the doctor pressed on the sternum that would be an indication of costochondritis (inflammation of the cartilage) and not heart related.  And when one is having or recently had a heart attack a blood test would have markers in the blood  resulting from the HA event.  

The doctors are probably right that you did not have a HA, also your recent symptom (stomach cramps) is not a usual symptom of having a HA.  Thanks for your sharing, and if you have any further questions you are welcme ot respond.  Take care.

Avatar n tn
What about an irregular heartbeat, is that normal with this condition?  I've had 5 episodes of an irregular heartbeat since last night
A full workup should be done and that includes CBC (complete blood count).  There could be an electrolytic imbalance, etc.  There are many benign causes for an irregular heartbeat, and many individuals have learned to live with the problem meaning there is no underlying cause noted and it is not serious although it can be frightening, and it is not normal.

If you have a serious arrhythmia, the EKG may not have been helpful if the an event didn't happen at the time of the test.  Sometimes one needs to have an ambulatory ekg unit (holter) for 24 hours or so to try an capture any events that can be evaluated.

If the rhythm problem distresses you, you may find it helpful to have holter evaluation to rule out any serious condition.  Take care.

Avatar n tn
Ok thanks so much
Your welcome and I wish you well going forward.  Good luck, take care.
Avatar n tn
I had to go back to the ER last night cause my heart was racing but the test all came back fine what could be wrong?
As far as heading back to the E,R, last nite because your heart is racing my money is on anxiety if the docs have ruled everything else out which sounds to me like they have.  Anxiety can cause all of our hearts to race out of control especially if we are worried and do not have all of the answers that we seek.  It would be highly unusual to be 26 years old and have a heart attack.....it has happened but usually there are other circumstances involved when that happens that are not the norm.  Our hearts beat over 100,000 times in a 24 hour period and if you are having these random episodes including racing the best thing that you could possibly do for yourself is to calm down and help yourself...it sounds to me like no one has taken the time to sit you down and explain everything to you and the E,R, is not the place to do that since the creed is "Treat em and Street em" meaning that they are only there for acute issues and a very short period of time to take care and try to diagnose the immediate problem and then make room for others that have acute issues...almost like a processing line in a manufacturing plant but that is their job...i would call my family doc and tell them that you would like the doc to schedule out a 20 minute slot for you and sit down prior to the appt. and write out all of your worries and concerns and ask the doc the questions one by one by one so that you can get past this and go on with your life or it may very well throw a flag for your doc and he/she may suspect something else is going on w. you and will do further testing...you've cleared the first hurdle tho w. your tests being neg........just a thought....
Avatar n tn
Ok thanks the only problem is I don't have a doctor cause i'm unemployed and have no money and my mom doesn't have the money for me to see a doctor
If you are unemployed and your family cannot afford to pay for an independent visit and you live w/in the U.S, i would on Monday morning call your local social services dept. and see if you qualify for some sort of medical assistance and they should be able to give you a complete list of docs that accept that program.  I know it is hard in this economy and i think all of us see this more and more often in trying to survive.  You need the answers, you deserve the answers and the ball is in your court to do something about it.  When you went to the E,R, they must have told you that if you could not pay for their services that help is available to you on either a county or state level because that is a part of their discharge planning and social services protocol.  I would try to get a little help w. this so you can be healthy and happy and move forward....good luck and there are literally thousands and thousands of people in you and your moms shoes right now if you live w/in the U.S. so don't even think twice about asking for help.  That is why your mom and dad and grandparents as well as you when you were working paid taxes...you sort of invested in your own assistance insurance over the years thru your contribution in paying taxes...good luck and try to enjoy the rest of your weekend....