Heart Disease Expert Forum
Different Diagnoses

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Different Diagnoses

Hello..I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse in 1984.  About 10 years later an echo was done and the diagnosis was confirmed.  In 2003 another echo was done and again the diagnosis was confirmed.  In 2008 another echo was done, and I was not diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse.  Can I all of sudden not have mvp?  Thank you for your time.

MP
Physician used to overdiagnose MVP because the definitions used to diagnose this conditions per echocardiography were overly sensitive.  We've since began to appreciate that the incidence of MVP is much lower and many patients who were diagnosed as MVP in the past had their diagnosis reversed per the new criteria.  
Thank you for your response.  Let me ask you another question.  Since the diagnosis in 1984, I have been prescribed atenolol because of palpitations.  Another reason for the medication was because of anxiety.  I was using (and abusing) ativan (I am in recovery now) so the doctor switched me to the beta blocker to see if it would help with the anxiety and it did.  Over the years I have taken as much as 50 mg 3 times a day.  I am now at 25 mg 2 times a day which seems to work well enough.  Other than the anxiety, which I now take antidepressants that emotionally do clear the anxiety, what else physically could be the cause?  I still do have the palpitations (I have learned to live with them, no actually they drive me crazy) and the doc doesn't want to increase the bb because of low blood pressure.  The echo looks good.  I am 56, atrial chamber is borderline enlarged; mild lv diastolic dysfunction, and ef is 60%.
A related discussion, help needed with heart palpitations was started.