Heart Disease Expert Forum
Digoxin

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Digoxin

Having recently been diagnosed with supraventricular tachycardia, my doc rx'd calan and digoxin.  Both of these drugs warn about taking the other one...is this safe?  After 8 days, I am still trying to adjust to the drugs...feel weak, fatigued, hard to get a good breath, stomach problems,etc.  Is this the meds?
Dear rgirl,
These medications can be taken in combination with each other but there are precautions of which you should be aware.  They can both slow the heart rate and therfore slow heart rate is one potential side effect.  Digoxin can cause some nausea.  The weakness and fatigue is harder to blame on the medications but it is possible.  I would be sure to mention these symptoms to  your doctor on your next visit.

I took calan 240SR for 8 years until deciding on RF ablation to cure my SVT.  I didn't realize how bad the meds made me feel until I finally got off of them.  I was constipated, depressed, hands and feet were always cold, and the list could go on and on.

I have been svt free for 14 months now and never felt better.  If RF ablation is an option for you, I urge you to check into it. It is so weird not having to worry about my SVT now.  From age 9 until age 33 it was always a burden that seemed to rule my life. Life is a lot better now.  Good luck to you.

Steve
Calen (Verapamil-a calcium channel blocker) slows the heart down. Patients taking calen can experience fatigue, dizziness and cold extremities. You could ask your doctor if they could lower the dose for you and see if this works for you.
I am on Coumadim, digoxin,proamatine. Recently, while doing a stress test my heart rate went to 130. My cardiologist rxed
one capsule of cardizem per day. Does anyone know if there is a conflict here, since the proamatine raises blood pressure and cardizem cd lowers it??. Please advise as I am very confused