Heart Disease Expert Forum
Dilated Right Ventricular

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Dilated Right Ventricular

I was recently diagnosed with a dilated right ventricle.  I have also been told that there is some thickening of the ventricular wall and that the tricuspid valve is leaking.  I have been told that heart pressures are normal and that the left ventricle is normal.  I have experienced some heart palpitations. I do not have any symptoms such as shortness of breath, etc.  I went for twelve minutes on the stress echo. My cardiologist has not yet been able to identify a cause.
  Assuming the condition worsens, could I possibly be a candidate for ventricular restructuring/remodeling or is this only for the left ventricle.  An echo about eight years ago indicated a leaking tricuspid.  Could this leaking over the years cause a dilation of the right ventricle?
  Are there any new treatments for a condition such as this or are there any particular things to look for. My cardiologist has already checked for ASD.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Kent
The leaking tricuspid valve could lead to right ventricular dilatation. Alternatively, right ventricular dilatation could lead to tricuspid leaking. If the valve was leaking years ago and if the ventricle was OK then, probably the valve leakage has led to the dilation. Remodeling surgery has no role in the right ventricle. However, surgery can be done to fix the tricuspid valve if this is warranted.
Another possible cause of right ventricular dilation is blood clots in the lung or severe lung disease.
I hope this is useful. Feel free to write back. I wish you the best of luck.
If you would like to set up an appointment with one of our cardiologists here at the Cleveland Clinic please feel free to call 1-800-CCF-CARE.
Information provided in the Heart Forum is intended for general medical informational purposes only. Actual diagnosis and treatment of any particular medical condition can only be made by your physician(s).