Dilated left atrium...
I'm not sure what topic to put this under, but I just got back from the doctor and the heart echogram thing said all tests are normal, except for the left atrium: Left Atrium is Dilated.
I am male, 24 years old... What could this mean for me?
Thank you...
This is not usually a significant finding unless you have afib or any other coronary artery disease. An enlarged left atrium (I have one too and have asked all the questions) is not a disease but a symptom of another underlying cause, usually the result of high blood pressure. Did you have an echocardiogram? These are not always correct in diagnosing an enlarged atrium as it is possible your heart has a different axis orientation in your chest. The only true way to determine if an atrium is enlarged is to measure it's volume, this is rarely done as the finding is not usually significant anyways. Fix the underlying cause and it may go back down to a normal size. Until then, control your risk factors and do what you need to in order to remain healthy.

I hope this helps.

Jon