Heart Disease Expert Forum
Do I need to be checked

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Do I need to be checked

My dad recently passed away, the coroner said it was a massive heart attack but that my dad also had a enlarged heart, my dad was only 58 and I'm only 32, do I need to see a doctor to check if my heart is ok , is it something that could run in the family, don't wanna panic for no reason but do I need to get it checked incase , thankyou
My condolences on the death of your father.  Given his young age of 58 at the time of his death, there is likely a familial component to his coronary disease.  Family history of coronary disease usually refers to onset before age 55, but some studies have correlated familial disease with coronary-related death before age 60.  You should have your primary care doctor do some initial screening including blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes test.  You should find a doctor you trust and follow closely with them.  Best of luck.
It would be worth getting checked out by your primary care doctor.  The three most important metrics are blood pressure cholesterol and glucose. I'm 50 and have a family history of heart disease and have done a considerable amount of research this past year.  Modern medicine will tell you that a lot of it is genetic, but that is not necessarily true.  The inherited tendancy is only a predisposition and it doesn't necessarily dictate the outcome.  Many of these conditions results from various external factors.  Lifestyle is probably more important as is diet.  I would probably also ask for an LpA test if cholesterol levels are questionable as it is a genetic risk factor not altered by diet or exercise.