Heart Disease Expert Forum
Do I need to go to the ER?? Please help!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I truly hope someone can help me and help me soon.  I am a 48 year old female and have had a stroke, but my doctor, nor I, know exactly when.  He says that it was caused from my heart (blood clot).  I am currently taking medicine for high blood pressure, lasix, acid reflux medication, and various other medications for severe pain issues.  I ran out of my lasix for 4 days, and did not take it, but have now been back on it for 3 days.  For the last 5 days, I have been sleeping almost nonstop.  I sleep from 1:00 am to 3:00 pm, get up and take short naps until it is bedtime again(1:00), and do the same thing the next day.  I CANNOT stay awake.  I am totally and utterly exhausted.  I also get so breathless when I am up trying to do things, that I feel as if I cannot get a good breath of air.  It is struggle to breathe and I get light-headed and have to sit down for fear of fainting.  I am also having severe leg weakness and feel as if my legs are not going to support me.  Until yesterday, I have not had a blood pressure cuff.  Once I got it, I took it after I had been sitting an hour or so.  It was totally normal (107/71).  After getting up and feeling the breathless, (I can't catch my breath & feel as if I am going to faint) feeling, I took it again and it was 159/137.  I did this a few other times while sitting and it is normal, and a few other times after I was up and breathless and it was high (147/126 & 151/101).
Should I be concerned enough about this to go to the ER or should I just call my doctor next week?  I don't want to overreact, but I do want to react if I need to.  Can someone please help me and give me some advice.  I am scared because my chest is hurting, my arms and fingers are numb (but they do this occassionally anyway), and it is difficult to eat because I feel as if I can't get a good breath of air.  Maybe I am overreacting, but I don't know.  Please help me with some advice.  Thank you!!
It sounds as if you are at least having congestive heart failure, which may be caused by coronary insufficiency or ischemia. I would suggest that you seek emergent medical help. You are not feeling well, and may be having a life threatening process in your heart. Go to the ER.
If you're having chest pain you should go. Only the doctors on this forum could give you advice otherwise and they may not get to your post in time.

It's not worth taking the chance, if you have chest pain then GO!

Good luck,

Jon
Just go to the ER to be on the safe side, Hope you feel better and find out what's going on.
You're not over reacting first of all.    You most definately need to have you blood chemistry checked, among other things, depending on your medical history.   When you are having these symptoms,  trying drinking a large glass of water and see if it improves in 20 minutes or so.   I doubt its this simple but you could be dehydrated.   Some sort of orthostatic intolerance is also a possibility.   Ask to have your orthostatic pressures checked.   There is also a chance that you are physicaly deconditioned.  Do you exercise much?   What is your weight like?   How do you feel after walking up a flight of stairs?   These are all questions you need to answer.    It isn't unreasonable to make a trip to the ER;  they will do blood tests on you, that could answer alot of questions.
Oh, there is one other possibility that the doctors will not think of in all likelyhood.   It's not inconceivable that you could be suffering from some sort of post viral syndrome.     I had a terrible viral infection this time last year, and after it went away,  for the better part of  9 months I had atypical chest pain,  new onset heart palpitations,  tachycardia at the drop of a pin,   extreme lightheadedness and anxiety feelings...feelings like I'm going crazy and can't think.      I still have lingering effects too,  who the hell knows when or if it'll go away.
You sound like you're having the same symptoms my dad was having. he lived with these symptoms for 5 months before he would go to the hospital. Turns out he had pnemonia (pneumonia). Since he waited so long to go to the hospital, it has turned out a lot worse than it would have if he would have gone when he first got sick. By the time he got to the hospital he hadn't been sleeping because he couldn't catch his breath long enough to fall asleep (just as he would start to fall asleep he would stop breathing then wake up hyperventalating), and he hadn't been eating because he the pressure he felt on his abdomen and some chest pains. He went to the hospital on a Fri. and had a heart attack (while incubated) on a Sat.His body was so exhaused from living with the pnemonia (pneumonia) for so long that his heart just couldn't handle it anymore. Now, because of the heart attack we have a lot of heart damage that we're dealing with. I would definitly get to a hospital as soon as possible (if you haven't already). And, if they can't figure out what is wrong with you fairly quickly, and they haven't tested you for pnemonia (pneumonia) ask them to.