Do I really need a defibrillator?
I am 50 years old.  I had a heart atttack at age 40 from a blocked LAD.  My EF is 32.  I walk regularly and jog sometimes.  I feel very good.  My cardiologist wants me to have a defibrillator.  I'd like to delay having this device put in.  I've not gone had any pain or I don't have any apparent fibrillation.  My Q wave is .0014 (not sure on the exact number).  
What are your thoughts?  I would like to delay having this done another year.
Why does your doctor feel that you need a defibrillator?  Have you had runs of V-tach.  The EF is pretty low,  If you don't know the answers, you need to become more pro-active in your own care.

If you can't get the answers to satisfy your needs, you should probably seek a second opinion.
My doctor wants me to have a defibrillator because my EF is 32.  I have not had any V-tachs that I know of.  What is V-tach?  

My doctor wants to protect me from going into defibrillation where the heart quivers instead of punping.  The chances of me going into defibrillation is 7 - 8 percent.  He wants the defibrillator to be for protection for that 7-8 percent.  If I go into defibrillation I might not come out of it OK or I might not live.

I have had a second opinion and a third opinion.  All the cardiologists hve a standard that the AHA wants them to adhere to.  I am pretty active and I don't feel I fit in with all the studies that have been done.  I don't feel like I'm represented in those studies performed.  The electrophysiologist I met with 3 weeks ago said it is all based on my EF.

As for being more pro-active in my own care, I eat a very excellent diet and I exercise regularly; I take care of my stress and I'm happy.  I have read about 7-9 books on heart disease but I need academic knowledge.  I'm just not sure about those studies and how everything is based on a low EF only.