Do womens hearts beat faster than mens
Hi my name is Sharon and I was wondering if women have a stronger heartbeat than men. I am constantly aware of my heartbeat and once in a while can feel it double beat. My husband you can barely feel his and he;s not overweight neither am I. But with my stethoscope can hear my husbands loud and clear. But me just 1 finger on my chest and you can feel the never ending beating. Anyone else have this?
Wow this takes me back, I remember doing some research on this and that was over 30 years ago. I seem to remember that men have larger lungs than women, something like 25-30% larger (using averages here). This means a man is more efficient at oxygenating his blood making him slower to tire. I also seem to remember that men have more blood than women and a larger heart to deal with this. I believe the average heart resting rate in women is higher than a mans. If a man and woman are the same size, the woman will have 80% of the mans strength due to his larger muscle mass.
You would have to take a man and woman of roughly the same size for heart rates to be compared, and the womans would be faster but only by around 5-8 bpm.
I recently read that under stress, men tend to develop higher blood pressure than women but women develop a higher respiritory rate.