Heart Disease Community
Does Xanax interfere with echo stress test readings?

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I am scheduled to have my first echo stress test at my Cardiologist's office next Thursday. I have a few Alphazolam (Xanax) pills (only 0.5 mg) which my primary care physician prescribed to me months ago when I asked for some to keep "at the ready". I have a tendency to be anxious visiting doctors (my usually normal BP readings shoot through the roof....white coat syndrome...when I am at the doctor), and I am sure that I will be very anxious when taking this upcoming stress test. If I took one 0.5 mg tablet a couple of hours before the test, would taking that adversely affect the accuracy of the readings of the test? I know that the first thing they do is take your BP and heart rate at rest, before getting on the treadmill. But I fear that my numbers will never be "at rest" without the Xanax?
I would call the doc and have them advise you on this one because obviously a xanax is a adrenaline relaxing med and i would think could effect the outcome of the test.  You need to reassure yourself that you will be in a very safe and controlled environment during the test and they will be ready for anything that could pop up with you...its alot better being in that situ having the test done then alone in yoru car and have something happen...good luck w. your test but the doc needs to answer that one i think
Actually, Xanax does not effect adrenaline. All medicines in this category work the same way and will have the same effect, depending on the specific benzodiazepine that is being taken. They work in the brain by enhancing the effects of gamma-aminobutyric acid, a chemical that is naturally calming. GABA can slow down or stop certain nerve signals in the brain. This is why Xanax and other benzodiazepines are known as mild tranquilizers, sedatives, or central nervous system depressants. These drugs help stop anxiety by allowing  you to become less fixated on a single event.

Having said that, it should not effect a stress echo, however it may cause you to work harder to reach your desired heart rate. I would certainly ask the doctor to be sure. Normally they should have given this information when they scheduled your test. A quick call to the office should give you an answer.

Good luck on your test!

Jon