Heart Disease Expert Forum
Does smoking with PVC's Increase your chance of Dyng?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Doctor,
First of all let me say that I am a smoker and I hate the habit. And I have tried to quit unsucessfully a dozen times. I have PVC's. Since I am a smoker does this increase my likeliness of dying from the PVC's? I am a 30 year old F.
Thanks.
Smoking increases your chances of death (from heart disease, lung cancer, other cancers). The PVCs probably add little, if any, to this already elevated risk. However, the PVCs could be worsened by the smoking itself - another reason to quit.
Thank you for your response :-) I am hoping that I can indeed quit one day.
I hope you can quit also - probably the single best thing that you can do for your health.
I too smoke and have PVC's and have noticed that it does increase the PVC's when I smoke. A combination of some caffeine and a smoke really gets my pumper going.....a very scary feeling.
I also am going to try to quit smoking and have already went to decaf coffee, seems to help a little.
Tobacco and caffeine often go together and are quite effective at generating PVCs in almost everyone, in high enough doses.
Smoking increases you chance of dying without a pvc's so my answer is yes.
I have a aortic valve replacement, St. Jude, in 1975.  I to was a 1 to 1-1/2 pack a day smoker with serious asthma.  I am now on in home oxygen but have quit smoking approx a year ago.  I did it with a step down approach because I knew I couldn't quit either.  First I stopped smoking in the house at all, good thing it was summer in Wisconsin, and started regulating my time to go outside and smoke. You have to find other ways to use the time you used to smoke that cigerette and also learn to relax yourself completely.  I went down a little more every week until I was down to a couple a day.  After that believe me it was easy.  I think the reason people can't quite is because they think to themselves that they will never be able to have another cigerette.  I didn't do that.  I always kept cigerettes available and knew they were there if I needed one.  It is work but if I can do it anyone can.