Heart Disease Expert Forum
Does viral cardiomyopathy go away?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Does viral cardiomyopathy go away?

I'm 29 years old. Back in November I was diagnosed with Myocarditis/viral Cardiomyopathy. When I found out that I had it a cardiac mri showed an ejection fraction of 43-44% and a globally weak heart with some scarring...I was put on Carvedilol, Furosemide and Losartan in small doses....fast forward to now, July I had a follow up cardiac mri which showed an ejection fraction of 51%. It also showed that all the scarring is gone except one small spot that is 3mm long. My cardiologist wants to keep me on the meds for 1 more year to let my heart rest some more. I am happy for the improvement. What I would like to know is if it will stay that way? I still feel tired all the time and get winded easily some days. I read somewhere before that cardiomyopathy doesn't go away so I'm confused. Is this only temporary or is it really gone? I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Keep in mind that "cardiomyopathy" is a general term used to describe poor heart function from any number of potential insults (viruses, coronary blockages, alcohol, etc); some types of cardiomyopathies have a better chance of improving than others.

Cardiomyopathies may improve with medications and time, but it's impossible to predict which patients will recover. Fortunately, it sounds like your condition has improved.

Generally speaking, if the cause of your cardiomyopathy was viral, and if your heart function has improved with time and medications, then there is a good chance it will stay that way.