Heart Disease Expert Forum
Double heart beat ?????

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Double heart beat ?????

Sometimes my heart feels like it beats in double time. Like instead of thump thump
  it goes thumpthump thumpthump. Does this sound crazy or can ot really do that and if so...what is it !?!
  THank you for your time. This is buging me greatly and mainly causde I have no idea of what it
  could be or if it could be !
  Thank you, Ginger
------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Ginger,
It could be that you are having extra heart beats - either PACs or PVCs. Alternatively, you could be having episodes where your heart rate speeds up - tachycardia. The way to diagnose any of those conditions would be for your doctor to do an electrocardiogram - an EKG. This test will provide the answer, unless you are not having symptoms when the test is performed. In that case, you would need to wear a Holter monitor (a portable EKG) to determine if there is a problem with your heart rate or rhythm. Therefore, I suggest you make an appointment with your family doctor.
I hope this information has been useful.  Information provided here is of a general nature.  Only your doctor can recommend appropriate testing and prescribe indicated therapy.  If you would like to be seen at the Cleveland Clinic, call 1-800-CCF-CARE for an appointment with a cardiac electrophysiologist (a cardiologist specializing in heart rate and heart rhythm problems).

A related discussion, Holter Reults was started.