Heart Disease Community
Drinking Orange Juice just after the medicine

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Hi ..I had an heart attack nearly two months ago and I have been drinking one glass of orange juice everyday just after having the medicine(includes beta blocker called bisoplolel). I just heard from a friend that  its not good to have orange juice with or imeeditely after taking the medicine. Is  this true? can orange juice make the medicine less effective?

thanks for your help in advance, cheers, Larry
Correct.
Drugs shown to be weakened by grapefruit, orange and apple juices include beta blockers atenolol, celiprolol, and talinolol and the hay-fever treatment fexofenadine.

The multi-purpose antibiotic ciprofloxacin, used to combat germs behind food poisoning and bone and joint infections, is also affected.

So is the cancer drug etoposide and a drug given to prevent the rejection of transplanted organs.

Seems that you shouldn't drink these juices within 4 hours of taking the medicine.
Correct.

The acidity of many juices breaks down the medicines.  Better taken with water only.
many thanks for replying....my worry is these things were never told by the doctors or at least the pharmacist......even not mentioned in the little leaflet in the medicine box.....