Heart Disease Expert Forum
Drug Eluting Stents
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Drug Eluting Stents

I have two everolimus eluting stents, back to back, in my RCA, with a totoal length of 32 mm.   I am not sure if the touching or one is tucked into the other slightly.   Originally, I had 90% hard blockage the second shoter stent was put in due to a tear occurring during placement of the first.

Some studies indicate problems with inadequate endothelial recovery due to the drug.   And given that I have a longer run of stents it makes my situation a little riskier.

Do the stents continue to elute past the 1st year?  What is the current recommendation for helping to assure proper regrowth of the artery wall?  

thanks

1687176_tn?1321401609
It sounds as if your procedure may have been complicated by a dissection (tearing) of the wall of the coronary vessel, in which a second stent was deployed to "cover" the tear.  Because you had drug-eluting stents placed, the current recommendations is that you remain on at least a baby aspirin for life (81 mg) and another anti-platelet agent (Plavix, Prasugrel, Ticagrelor) for at least 6 months and up to 1 year (based on the recommendation of your cardiologist).  Maintaining strict compliance with these medications (not missing any doses at all) is the best way to ensure prevention of these stents thrombosing (closing off) as well as appropriate vessel healing.  This should be done in conjunction with aggressive risk factor modification (blood pressure, cholesterol, diet, exercise, and no smoking).
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank