Heart Disease Community
Drug eluding stent recall

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Drug eluding stent recall

A year and a half ago I had a Johnson and Johnson cypher drug eluding stent placed in my LAD.  Since that time I have read reports of law suits due to blood clotting. I now read that Johnson and Johnson has taken the stents off of the market. Does anybody have any information concerning the stents or had any adverse events caused from the stents?

I am taking effient and a 325 asprin daily to prevent clotting. Is long term use of effient dangerous?
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It was found that blood clotting and thrombosis was more with Johnson and Johnson cypher drug eluting stents, hence were withdrawn from the market. Effient is used to prevent stent thrombosis and so causes an increased bleeding risk.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Avatar n tn
I do have some experience with this problem. Mild heart attack in 2007 (most probably caused by spasm, arteries were in pristine condition), followed by insertion of 6 cypher stents to support the one artery: 1 x 18mm, 1 x 23mm, 2 x 30mm and 2 x 33mm. Three and a half years later in 2010, naturally I was no longer taking dual anti-platelet therapy that long post-stenting - just the 81mg aspirin. But, had a very severe stent thrombosis and a serious MI. I'm very lucky to be here today. In any case, I must now be on effient and low dose aspirin forever because of these cypher stents. I experienced many side effects from the effient and aspirin, and they were becoming increasingly worse - GERD, terrible bruising and bleeds that were becoming more common. Two months ago, after I had been complaining to my cardiologist for two years that I was headed for a bleed, it happened. I developed a bad flu, and began bleeding from the lower colon and landed up in hospital again while I was taken off the blood thinners. A wonderful cardiologist there told me to begin alternate day dosing of the effient and the aspirin once I was able to start again, and that's what I did. I am feeling 100% better!
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Check your blood counts and bleeding and clotting time on regular intervals, this will help control bleeding episodes. Also, follow up with your doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.