Heart Disease Community
Drug induced elevated pulse permanent?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Drug induced elevated pulse permanent?

I was taking Elavil for insomnia and I noticed that my resting pulse shot up after an increase in the Elavil. My resting pulse was 55-80 bpm, it increased to 75-112 bpm. When I was at my old doctor's office my pulse was in the 90's and I was very nervous/shakey feeling. My old doctor put me on Toprol (25mg) to correct this problem and told me it was a very low dose.

I have a chronic pain condition (RSD/CRPS) and have to take enough medication with that. I want to wean off the Toprol but am worried about doing it.

My question is this drug induced elevation permanent? I have a new doctor and he acted like my old doctor shouldn't have done anything. I talked to the new doctor about weaning off and he was ok with that but not very reassuring. He seems to think the Adderal is the problem. I have taken the Adderal for a long time and never had this problem.

This discussion is related to What is a normal pulse rate ?.