Heart Disease Expert Forum
Drug side effect, claritin, cardiac

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Drug side effect, claritin, cardiac

Hey

I was curious on the medication claritin (loratadine) and its possible cardiac effects. I was being told after telling a pharamacist last night that i was devloping a fast, irregular heart beat and pounding at times --that this was a serious side effect and to call my doctor immeadiatley.  I tried looking it up, said something at WebMD about it causing serious heart rhythm disturbances in some people..im already a cardiac patient for some slight valve problems and had ablation on tachycardia in the past.  I was jsut wondering...what heart rhythm disturbances does claritin cause that is documented that you know of? PVC's/PAC's? Any arrythmias? Do you happen to know what the fast/pounding/irregular heartbeat that a few people taking claritin out there are developing is? Apreciate it.
Dear Tyler,
Claritin is in the family of non-sedating antihistamines and this class has had some problems with cardiac arrhythmias.  In fact Seldane, a similar drug, was taken off the market for this reason. Usually the problem arises when the drug is taken in conjunction with another drug such as an antifungal drug or some antibiotics.  Grapefuit juice can also interact with this class of medications. This particular complication is rare but serious when it occurs.  I would agree with your pharmacist that you should hold off on taking the medication until after you have consulted with your doctor.
hi tyler, were you taking regular claritin or claritin D? the D is a much bigger, white pill with a hefty dose of sudafed; the regular clairin, small w/ no sudafed. I had a scary episode (panic attack) triggered by irregular heart beats while taking claritin D and the doc put me on regular claritin, which seems to be just fine. i have really bad allergies and taking a benadryl at bedtime seems to work just as well as claritin, and the diphenhydramine doesnt bother the heart. even benadryl fastmelt, the non-drowsy, also contains diphenhydramine and doesnt cause me any problems, tho meds that contain pseudoephedrine and acetominophen Do.
A related discussion, claritin & heart palpitations was started.