Heart Disease Expert Forum
Dual septal puncture

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Dual septal puncture

Could you tell me what a dual septal puncture is the the purposes fo which it might be performed?
Septal punctures are performed on a variety of heart procedures, including fixing valve tightening (balloon mitral valvuloplasty).  Perhaps more information on the context of why you ask would help me provide a better answer.  Are you talking about a dual lumen catheter that is used to perform a septal puncture?
I had a catheter ablation a few weeks ago and I remember the Dr. telling me that he had to be very careful around the septal wall and sometimes women, in particular, require a second ablation because their septal walls are thinner. I'm pretty sure he only went through my right jugular vein, as opposed to my femoral veins.  In the report it said he ablated all 4 pulmonary veins and the left atrial posterior wall.  The left atrial appendage was also isolated and the coronary sinus isolated distally.  He also told me that he ablated the autonomic ganglionic plexi.  The report also said transseptal access x2.  In this context is it normal or usual to puncture the septal wall?  Thank you in advance for clarifying this for me.
A transeptal puncture is necessary in catheter ablations to access the left side of the heart and ablate the appropriate structures.  These puncture sites are small and typically close on their own.