Heart Disease Expert Forum
Dye Stress Test
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Dye Stress Test

I have been to numerous cardiologists because I always feel these darn skipped heartbeats.  I am a 50 year old female with no other ailments except this horrible heart beat thing.  I had a stress test with the dye they inject in to you approximately 5 years ago because of some sort of 2mm depression they saw on my tread mill test.  Everything came back negative and they said I did not have blocked arteries or anything else wrong and move on.

I went to a new cardiologist last month and did a tread mill stress test and they saw the same thing with the 2mm depression.  I didn't tell them I had had already had the dye inject stress test 5 years ago.  They now want me to have the dye test done as they don't know I had already had this done at another place before.  Should I go ahead and do the dye stress test again or am I just wasting time and money as this was done not too long ago?
Related Discussions
1685247_tn?1305573085
Hello. I am not quite sure what you mean by a dye test. There are several types of stress tests.

Some stress tests involve imaging of the heart where once can compare the coronary circulation while a patient is at rest and during maximum physical exertion. These tests can showing any abnormal blood flow to the heart's muscle tissue

Typically, a radioactive tracer is injected during the test. Then, photos are taken with a special camera to capture images of the blood flow.

It sounds as if your had some concerning ECG changes on treadmill stress testing. An abnormal (positive) stress test would generally be followed by another test called a coronary angiogram or cardiac catheterization. Where dye can be directly injected into your coronary arteries to determine if there are any blockages. I will assume the dye test your refer to is the coronary angiogram. Coronary angiogram is not a stress test, but the gold standard method used to actually visualized the coronary arteries.

If you did have a either a normal coronary angiogram or a stress test with imaging five years ago, it would be important to let your doctor know this information. As a general principle, it is always a good idea to let your doctor know your full medical history, so that tests are not unecessarily repeated and details are not missed. In terms of the 5 year time frame, coronary artery disease can certainly progress in this time. A normal coronary angiogram 5 years ago does not guarantee that a repeat test would also be normal.

Please let me know if there are more details that would be helpful in answering your questions.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank