Heart Disease Community
EF 25% Enlarged Heart and Weak

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

EF 25% Enlarged Heart and Weak

Im 33 and Had a small feeling of Flutter in my heart.  I left it go mostly and decided to have it checked.  They did an EKG found nothing.    2 months later  I felt a sweat, Heart felt like it was going to blast outta my chest and body hurt for about 2 mins and went away..  Went back and they did a ekg again and was told they found Left bundle branch block but not that big of deal and sent me to the heart dr.  They did a stress test and said I Had a EF of 25% and wanted a Heart cath and Sleep Test.   I was told my sleep test was bad and need a machine to sleep.  Then after Heart cath was told I had a Enlarged heart and was a weak heart but everything else looked good.  The reason for the problem they think is either sleep problem and Weight.   Or a Virus? First they want me to do some exercise as well eat better.   And use the Sleep machine...   for about a month or 2 and go form there.  I dont feel bad at all nothing.  I Am now on 10mg of LISINOPRIL still no flutters nothing.  I work for a cable company and Lift the ladder off a truck and climb a pole some atic work and crawl space work.  Has anyone seen or know someone that like me that was turned around to get back to a normal life?  Scared outta my mind about it.   Im 285 lbs 6'1 and not a blob just big.  What do you guys thing? Sleep prob and exercise make my EF go up? along with meds and back to normal life? Please any info Im driving myself nuts over all this thanks....
Okay first off daddyof3 you need to take it down a couple of notches and not freak yourself out here.  I am assuming what the doc has said is that you are suffering from sleep apnea and that is something that about 8% of the male population carries with them believe it or not.  So its a little more common then you think.  Stanford Medical now says that one of the most effective ways of taking care of it is thru and MMA or a Macillomandibular Advancement procedure and the success rate is at 90% or higher in most cases so sounds like a no brainer to me if you are looking for something along the lines of something permanent being done rather than dealing w. the machines and if that is where their focus is.  So just a thought.  As far as your EF goes at 25% most docs i believe feel that between 50 and 55% is the norm so yep you are low but theres alot that can be done to increase your  EF thru lifestyle changes meds, etc.  And personally i feel that you do have a pretty good shot here at getting your life back but what i think really doesn't matter its what your doc thinks....don't be scared....i would love to tell you that you have a one of a kind condition and are special but this is just one of those days where you fall within the masses and that in this case is a very very good thing.  Theres lots and lots thats known about what you are going thru and i would no doubt pay attn. to the doc and their suggestions because it sounds like you got a good one and was able to pinpoint the issues and deal with them.  Sounds to me rather then scaring yourself half to death you need to take a step back, realize how lucky you really are and that this can be dealt with..unfortunately its always the unknown that gets us all...i hope you and your family daddyof3 have a wonderful holiday season and i would broach the subject of the MMA if the machine is bugging you.....take care...relax....no worries......