Heart Disease Expert Forum
EF results

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

EF results

Posted by Melissa on July 06, 1999 at 11:34:22
I wrote about a month ago about my Dad's heart problems.  His family doctor said he had a leaky valve and sent him to a cardiologist.  The cardiologist said he did not have a leaky valve, but did have a blockage that needed to be repaired with a stint.  He also said that he has weak heart muscles caused by a viral infection and that he had to go on disability.  The said they were going to put him on a new medicine for the weak muscles.  Well, the operation went well, they said.  When another doctor came by to check him out of the hospital, my mom asked about the weak heart muscles and the new medicine and the doctor said he did not know anything about it!  Mom was looking at Dad's chart and it said 'EF 25%'; yet the doctors never discussed this EF percentage with Dad.  The only reason we knew anything about the EF at all is because of research on the internet.  It seems that nobody is concerned about this.  My question is, "Is 25% EF good and that is why no one seems concerned about it??"  BTW, the 'heart hospital' that my Dad was at is supposed to be the 3rd leading one in the nation.  I don't understand why the doctors seem to not know what they are talking about!  Also, what is this new medicine?  

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD JMF on July 09, 1999 at 08:09:54
Dear Melissa,
Your dad's cae may be complex.  An EF of 25% is considered depressed.  While sometimes surgery may improve this, if he went into surgery with this low function, sometimes it may not.  It is diffcult to say what this new medicine is but it is likely to be coreg or carvedilol a medication used to improve heart function.  Your father is likely to be managed for what is considered congestive heart failure over time as this low ejection fraction may nopt provide him with enough cardiac output to do those things that he desires.  
You may wish to seek a second opinion.  Please provide me with any additional information to better assist you.  
I hope you find this information useful. Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only. Only your physician
can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire
online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the
cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.