Heart Disease Community
EJECTION FRACTION

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

EJECTION FRACTION

CAN ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT A 32% EJECTION FRACTION MEANS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE HEART. I HAD A TEST DONE AND MY HEART DOCTOR SAID MY EJECTION FRACTION ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY HEART IS ONLY 32% IS THIS A GOOD THING HE WANTS TO SEE ME IN HIS OFFICE
Avatar n tn
The ejection fraction refers to that percentage of blood that is pumped from the ventricle with each beat of the heart.  it is never 100% (or even close) as this would create a vacuum-like condition in the ventricle.  When you hear the term "ejection fraction" it is normally referring to the left ventricle, and this is a measure of left ventricle function (which pumps blood from the heart, out the aorta to the rest of the body).  "Normal" ejection fraction is around 58%, although you will see ranges of 55-60% as being acceptable as well.  Since left and right ventricular function is supposed to be equivalent, this number applies to the right ventricle as well.  As you can see, your EF is lower than normal, which certainly warrants a trip to the cardiologist for an explanation.  This means that your heart is not pumping as efficiently as it should be.  In the absence of medical management, the heart will start working harder (meaning beating faster) in an attempt to compensate and keep blood pumping at the rate that the body needs.  This can lead to heart muscle hypertrophy (where the muscle gets enlarged, actually making itself less efficient).  Medication can be used to slow the heart and improved the contraction strength with each beat to increase efficiency.

I would be interested to know what your left ventricular EF is.  Are they similar?  Your doctor will want to investigate for causes to a lower-than-normal EF.  Catching this early is important, as sometimes, it is reversible.  There are plenty of people on this forum with low EF's that have seen improvement and continue to function.  My 84 y.o. grandfather had an EF of 10-15% and was still playing golf.  He used a cart, however! :)

I hope this helps.  Good luck with your appointment, and keep us posted.

steph
Well my Cardiologist said that my left ventricular was 55% and my right ventricular was 32% and that my right side was very weak(muscle) I aslo have other heart issue as well. I have Mitral Regurgation Enlarge Left Atruim I have Tricuspid Regurgation I have Pulmonary Aterty Pressure of 30 at Resting and I have Multiform Ventricular Ectopic Beats.
My Primary Care Doctor Referred me to someone else who will take my heart problem seriously. I see him on the 27th of the month. My Cardiologist I have now is not that very good and I have been seeing him for two years now. I will keep you posted with the new Cardiologist has to say.
Avatar n tn
I am glad you are seeing someone else.  a cardiologist is really a doctor you need to feel comfortable with!  It sounds like you have some right-sided heart failure.

Please keep us posted!

steph
I will keep everyone posted. Thank You for Being Concerning.