Heart Disease Expert Forum
Ear Beat

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Ear Beat

Within the last 3 months, I have been periodically experiencing hearing my heart beat while I sleep? It sounds like the beat is located in the ear.  Should I be concerned?
Dear pat,
This is a common finding and not a cause for concern.  The quiet of the night combined with occlusion of the ear due to a pillow or mattress contribute to this observation.
Geez I hope not because I've heard it in my ear off and on since I was in high school and Im 37 now. I think its the way the ear gets pushed against the pillow and the tight weave offthe pillow case and pillow type causes kind of a sealing of the ear thats makes kind of a diaphram which causes your ear to pick up the pulsing through your jugular veins. Because your neck is also resting on the pillow where you vein is.
My "ear beats" increase with my blood pressure, I've noticed.  My bp fluctuates a bit (I monitor it daily).
Sounds like what I said...
Pat:

I don't know if this will help or not but some time back I was having a go-round with my youngest child who is 5 years old.  She has said for the last year that she hears "drums" in her ears.  Neither her pediatrician, staff members, family, friends, nor myself could figure out what it was she was hearing.  Finally, one day out of the blue I heard drums in my ears.  It sounded exactly like drums.  Turns out, what she was actually hearing was the sound of her ear when her allergies were acting up.

I immediately called her pediatrician for confirmation on this.  After much discussion and another visit, we figured out that the allergies were exactly what was causing her to hear what she described as drums.

Hope this helps someone.  It sure took our family on a most interesting ride to figure out.

Paise

I wanted to add one thing to this thread,not to cause alarm,but something that may be beneficial should it pertain to you. There are times when the carotid arteries in the neck may develope a BRUIT ,this is a sound heard when there is turbulent blood  flow in the Carotid arteries ,this at times can be heard through your ears and can be an indication of artheriosclerosis.while most of the time I agree its simply the heartbeat your hearing ....If you are a person with a risk factor for carotid artery disease,it couldn't hurt to have your Dr. listen to those arteries and see if a bruit is heard.