Heart Disease Expert Forum
Ear/Heart Myth?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Ear/Heart Myth?

Is this true or false:
  If you have a crease in your ear lobe, this indicates that you have faulty heart valves and are at risk of having a heart attak?
  I myself have a crease in my left ear lobe and this is really bothering
  me since I have been told this.
  Please help.
  Thank you

Dear Kristen,
This is a myth and the myth used to go that creases in both ear lobes was an indication that you inherited not only the creases but the increased
risk for heart attacks(not valvular disease.)
We now the risk factors for coronary artery disease and one of them is a family history of a first degree relative who had a heart attack -male before age 50 and -female before age 60.
The other risk factors are hypercholesterolemia, smoking, diabetes, hypertension, obesity, and sedentary lifestyle(no daily aerobic exercise.)
Note that many of these are modifiable risk factors, so your concern needs to be directed at these and not a crease in your ear.  If you do have a family history as desribed above, then now
really is the time to aggressively modify the other factors(for instance-all persons after age 20 should have their cholesterol checked on a regualar basis-about 3 years, start a daily 45 minute aerobic exercise program,
quit smoking, etc.  Good Luck.
Information provided in the heart forum is intended for general medical informational purposes only,
actual diagnosis and treatment of any condition can only be made/done by your physician(s).