Heart Disease Community
Ear lobe crease and heart disease

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Ear lobe crease and heart disease

I read a few reports that make a link between the 2 so checked my ear lobes (im a bit of a hypochondriac).  Im confused as to wheather or not i have a crease, if im looking at myself front on and depending on the light source i can see a crease / fold where my earlobe kind of bends forward a bit.  So i then took a picture side on and cant see any crease, how defined are these creases?  Could it just be the way my ear lobes are, the other side bends a bit too but not as much - also, the side i can see the fold is the side i sleep on, am i being paranoid?  Im 36 with no other symptoms, normal BP and choleserol of 3.8.

Thanks.
You got it.  You can stop worrying about the stupid creases.  All you need to "worry" about is doing healthy things for yourself.  Those are the things that you have control over.
by the way, i uploaded a picture of what im talking about
What those stories are talking about is a defined, linear crease in the earlobe.  What your photo looks like to me is just the shape of your normal earlobe.  I have the crease, and I can tell you the year and almost even the month that it showed up.  If you ever get one, you will not be confused about whether you have it.  If you are around very many older people, look at how many of them have what looks like a wrinkle in their earlobe.  
I'm really old.  All of us old boys and girls  started getting the wrinkle about the age of 35.  Wait til you are in your 70's, thats when ears and earlobes really get issues!
There is absolutely no relationship to ear creases and heart disease.  If you wan't to watch your Cardiogist fall on the floor in a fit of laughter, mention the ear crease relationship to heart disease theory.  
fit of laughter?  My Doctor suggested I should be burned as a witch.
Some of the more credible sites still mention the link, is that old info, are there more up to date reports?  I think this site even mentions a link.
I believe this is crap too, but lookig at the Internet you'll find a lot of albeit small studies even of recent origin that seems to support this theory and none that says, this is absolute hogwash.
I know that probably alot of Cardiologist will dismiss this, but there are some who recognise the link, think ill ask my doc to take a look, google should be banned on my PC!!
I uploaded another photo, does this look like a crease or just my ear shape?  The other side is much the same, this is only noticable depending on the way the light shines as can be seen from the other photos.  I know, im paranoid but please humor me.
how reliable is this study?

http://www.hcplive.com/articles/Diagonal-Ear-Lobe-Crease-Tied-to-Coronary-Artery-Disease
I think it is a good study.  But you don't have the crease, and neither does the ear in the photo on that link that you provide.  Below is a link to a picture of what the authors of the study are talking about.  As you will see when you look at it, it is a well defined, linear crease.  Again, it is something that a lot of older people have -- but not you!  You can do a search for images of "diagonal earlobe crease" to see more of them.

http://www.cmglinks.com/asa/lectures/part_5/lecture/figs_full/02.htm
Thanks Skydnsr - did you see the new photo i uploaded, would you mind taking a look?  But it hink you are right, the crease in your link is very defned amd deep..
I did look at it, right before my last post.  That is why I gave you the pic of a real one, so you could see the difference between your earlobe and one with the actual crease.

Listen, if you want to do something for your heart, here's what you can do:  eat right, exercise, don't smoke, lose any excess weight, keep your cholesterol down and your blood pressure down, reduce stress, and get regular check-ups.  Even if you did have the earlobe crease, those are the things that you would need to do, and you still need to do them.  Everybody needs to do those things.  So my advice is to do those things, take good care of yourself, and maybe you will never see that earlobe crease when you look in the mirror, and maybe you will never have heart disease.  It's worth a try, huh?
Great advice, so i can stop worrying about stupid creases? :-)
Stop worrying, but do get baseline cholesterol tests, a BP check, etc.
I have a crease, too, so I know that anxiety that can cause. Another credible study just came out finding a relationship. but remember that a lot of people with the crease will never have trouble and some without it will drop dead of a heart attack. Don't look at population-level associations. Talk to your doctor about your own situation.

http://newsroom.heart.org/pr/aha/telltale-visible-signs-of-aging-239569.aspx