Heart Disease Community
Early Repolarization on ecg.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Early Repolarization on ecg.

Does any one know what early repolarization means on a ecg. I was feeling a little under the weather in december and was having a heart time breathing. i think i was having a panic attack because thats what the nurse said. But when they did my ecg it read early repolarization with a 1st degree heart block. i was ready to pass out when they did this ecg, and iam not sure what this means. When i asked the doctor the call it normal nor a male my age (32), and said its normal varient.
Early repolarization is a completely benign finding on EKG. It's extremely common in young men like us. I have it too. A bit complicated to explain, but the heart is quickly recharging it's electricity, if that made any sense. Do NOT worry about this. It's not a heart disease.
Early repolarization
Can early repolarization on an ekg be normal in an athletic young woman? I know you said it is normal in young men....just checking!  My daughter (19) had an ekg yesterday and family doctor said she had some early re-polarization but it was normal for her age, but of course I am worried!  She is being referred on to a cardiologist because she had a bout of what seemed like svt (which I had for years until my ablation )  lasting about a minute.  The family doc is not too concerned and said ekg was normal and that when listening to her heart it sounded normal but wants her checked out (which of course I do too!)  But I'm hoping for reassurance on the early repolarization until we get in to see the cardio.  I looked some stuff up on the internet (never a good idea!) and found it to be scary, but doctor was not concerned so I'm not sure if there is more to it than what I'm reading.  I was happy to find your post because you are always so knowledgable!!
Thank you!
Push your dr.for a 24 hour or two week event monitor. Early repolorisation is common finding for younger people. They call it fast heart and my dr. Said they see it in young people. Let me know what you guys Lear.
Early repolarization is normal in younger people and in athletes. It usually goes away during the 30s I think. I remember from reading my EKGs, I have significantly less early repolarization now than when I was 26..

If middle-aged people suddenly develops early repolarization, it can be a sign of some problem, some recent research claims so, at least.

Early repolarization is actually a stupid thing to call it, as it has nothing to do with early repolarization (which would be a short QT time) at all. The cause is unknown, or in some cases (the problematic ones) it can be a sign of late depolarization. That's examined with a so-called signal averaged EKG, but that's a fairly advanced and inaccurate test that isn't so often done, especially in the absence of symptoms.
Thank you so much!  That makes me feel a little better.  I really shouldn't read articles on the internet about these things.  They just scare me to death!  But I had found something about a study saying that early repolarization could be a sign of sudden cardiac death so I of course was terrified that she had that!  Thank you again for explaining things and calming my fears!
annie