Heart Disease Expert Forum
Echo Findings and Further Test

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Echo Findings and Further Test

I had an echo two weeks ago because of a VSD.  The results said there was trace regurg on all four valves and that the aortic valve was slightly thickened.  The doctor wants to do a TEE and a Stress Echo.  I had a TEE two years ago and a Sistimibi.  The TEE showed that the Bi-Cuspid Aortic valve was actually Tri-Cuspid with one cusp being pulled through the VSD.
I have been having shortness of breath on exertion with bad headaches and have sharp but short pains in the chest. I have been woke up at night with a pounding/racing heart beat.  The doctor seemed to think I was just out of shape.  I dont exercise regularly but dont think Im that out of shape.

Why would I need another TEE if echo appears normal?

Will the thicking of the aortic valve cause problems?  I asked the doctor this and he said, "  No, but I'm just trying to make you feel good".

Thanks for your help.
Dear Doug

The TEE would get clearer pictures of the VSD and the impact it is having on your aortic valve. Thickening of the aortic valve by itself is unlikely to cause problems. The VSD, however, may damage the aortic valve and lead to the need for aortic valve replacement in the future.

I hope this has been useful. I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to write back.

Information provided here is for general purposes only. Specific questions should be addressed to your own doctor. If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.