Heart Disease Expert Forum
Echo results

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Echo results
My question is regarding dimensions of the heart. I had a repeat echo(6 months ago was first one), and the the numbers have all increased where they should not be, and decreased the same. I have seen cardiac dimensions posted on this site, but they appear to answer chamber size for an adult male. Would a petite, small frame, female have the same dimensions? My left atria shows enlargement(MVP with mild mitral& tricuspid regurg.) end diastolic 4.9 cm, end systolic 2.8cm IV septum diastolic 6mm and LV posterior wall 6mm. Would a reading of 6mm for the last two mean dilation of the left ventricle? I would really appreciate if you could post cardiac dimensions for a B.S.A of 1.5. Thank you.
Dear NCBT,
There are not really tables that I know of that give different dimensions for different BSAs but I can give you the standard dimension +/- a standard deviation (SD).  Most normals are within 2 SD of the normal.  Therefore to get a range add or subtract 2 times the SD to the normal. The walls of the heart are usually 10mm (1 cm) or less.

Left atrium (end systole) 4.4 +/- 0.8 cm
left ventricle (end diastole) 4.7 +/- 0.4 cm
left ventricle (end systole) 3.0 +/- 1.0 cm