Heart Disease Expert Forum
Echocardiogram
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Echocardiogram

I had an echocardiogram done in August, because I was having chest tightness and pains in my upper chest. They notified me that the results were normal, although I do not know the specific numbers. Subsequently, a cardiologist evaluated the results and again said they were normal. My question is, can an echocardiogram detect any problems with the aorta? Should I ask for a ct-scan just to be sure? Can an echo also show the ascending aorta and arch?
Related Discussions
242508_tn?1287427246
The echo is decent for assessing the proximal ascending aorta.  The distal ascending aorta and the arch are very poorly visualized on echocardiography and typically need a different modality for thorough evaluation, CT being one of them.  Depending on the degree of suspicion for a thoracic aneurysm (the risk is probably low in you) one usually starts with a simple chest Xray for those who have low likelihood or goes straight to a chest CT in those who have intermediate or high risk.  
3 Comments
Blank
Thanks for responding! I am suspicious of having Marfan's though I dont fit all criteria and have never had any serious heart issues. I have had two chest x-rays this summer also, and both came back normal. Can they detect any abnormalities or swelling of the ascending aorta/arch?
Blank
242508_tn?1287427246
The xrays won't but as I mentioned earlier the proximal aortic root is well seen on echo.  The only way to see the arch well is either with a CT or an MRI.  Some cardiologist also do transesophageal echos for that as well, but that's a more invasive procedure and not as good as the other imaging modalities.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now