Ectopics and exercise and training intensity
Hi all from the UK. I have benign ventricular ectopics showing trigeminy which I have had for 6+ years. I am now 43, 5 foot 11' and 12 stone. I run for a hour twice a week (doing a variety of efforts including stamina work and interval training rather than just plodding along), swim 2-3 times a week for an hour doing about 50-60 lengths (of a 25m pool - freestyle)  or do H.I.T. on an exercise bike, and often do resistance training (weights, but not to body build muscle ) - all after work or at the weekend. I am a Podiatrist in Private Practice which is low stress, and a have a great family with no problems. My problem is that although I get the ectopics occasionally throughout the day for no obvious reason, which cause me no harm, they are much, much worse after alcohol. I can just about have 1 glass of red wine, but a pint of beer will really ramp up the beats and when I go to bed my heart is thumping like mad and makes me feel nauseous (never sick). I wake up feeling worse than if I had a hangover from a real skinfull! I drink decaff tea and coffee at home but may have a café coffee if I am out and enjoy a bit of chocolate. Curiously, these do not affect the beats like the alcohol does. I obviously steer clear then of the alcohol. All in all I deal with them but WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW is 1/ why does the alcohol affect the the beats as a lot of people say it makes them better? 2/ are there any levels of training that I could be doing that can further help the heart ectopics? ie is there any heart rate zone that I could be in for an effective and greater control of my symptoms? And if so how long?  for example should I train for longer in an aerobic zone with a 70-80% heart rate reserve with a 144 -156bpm or is it better to get into the anaerobic zone of 80-90% heart rate reserve with 156-168bpm etc etc ? I have found that exercise really reduces the ectopics in every day life but I am wondering if the correct training 'zone'  can help even further? Any answers would be warmly welcomed.
Hi there

I salute you for all the exercising, I was a martial artist but due to some significant factors (which I won't bore you with) - I currently cannot train.  I have ectopics, which some unusual ones thrown in and am on beta blockers.  The latter have stopped my ability to exercise at the moment.

I don't have the answer to your questions which are too technical for me - but I didn't want your post to go unnoticed.

There is one thing that has seriously helped with the ectopics - that is the supplements L-Arginine and Taurine together.  I think it is a Dr Eby that has written an article about this.  I expected it to be a placebo but seriously, there has been a 90% reduction and I'm taking a fraction of the amount he suggested.  I cannot emphasise enough that this is the only thing that's worked well for me.  I don't work for him or anything, it just worked.  It's also reassuring.  I carry taurine around in my bag now as it's supposed to bring ectopics under control very quickly as it calms the nervous system.

I expect alcohol is affecting your electrolytes or something....I think it's known to aggravate atrial fibrillation also.  If your heart is thumping away and making you feel nauseous, can you check the speed of your pulse?  My doctor said for me it shouldn't go over about 140 bpm, but I think your height and weight come into it (that's a resting pulse I'm talking about by the way). Just mentioning this in case you have something else being triggered at times - but I'm no expert at all and my comments must be taken with a pinch of salt..........I was just thinking of a-fib, which in itself is not life threatening but must be treated due to other effects it can cause.

It goes without saying that you must be checked by a doctor or specialist re your symptoms asap if you haven't already been.  :-)

I wish you well.