Effect of Blood Pressure on Cognitive Functions
I was recently asked by doctor to monitor blood pressure and, cutting a long story short, notice that:

- low-normal blood pressure coincides with Bad Brain hours and extreme fatigue

- med to high-normal blood pressure coincides with Not-so-Bad Brain hours and fatigue

- high blood pressure coincides with Good Brain hours and near-normal energy

The observation is consistant so I was hoping that someone could tell me if there are any conditions that would cause this effect on cognitive functioning? Or what might be happening in the brain?

It's been about 17 years and was previously dx'd with CFS/FM.

Thanks so much,
DJT
Heart function definately affect brain function. The reason being a simple one: a lack of heart function, a lack of blood flow to the brain. Without that optimum blood flow, the brain doesn't function as well and people can have cognitive problems. This isn't to be confused with age related issues. For example: there was a study done several years ago with patients had had open heart surgery. (I am not talking about bypass surgeries where the heart was not physically opened up and repaired) and were placed on a heart-lung machine during the surgery. People that had been on a heart lung machine were having cognitive issues. They came to the conclusion that when the blood was going through the plastic tubing, it was picking up something from that tubing and sending it through to the brain. The body saw that as an invasion and went on the attack within the brain itself causing the cognitive issues. I don't know how true it is although we saw a difference in our own daughter after her open heart surgery.  
Thanks for your response!

According to the blood pressure charts that I've found online, my blood pressure is usually in the Athletic to Good range (ie. 103/69 to 120/75), yet that's when I feel the worst fatigue and experience the most trouble with cognitive functioning. Maybe my logic is too symplistic but I wondered if my brain wasn't getting enough oxygen during those times. But, if that was the case, I would think that the blood pressure or pulse rate would go up to compensate and it doesn't do either of those.

When my blood pressure is above normal (ie. 131/89 to 152/93), I feel near-normal and can get a lot of work done, but it only lasts a few hours and then the blood pressure crashes again to normal limits.

Maybe I'm grasping at staws, but I thought it might be significant.

Thanks again,
Donna
I have had two heart attacks-one moderate and one small, a coronary by pass done, two angioplasties one with a stentimplanted, a pacemaker/defibrillator implanted which saved my life three times now, have high blood pressure which is treated with heart medicine, and was wondering what my life expectancy would be.  My heart functions at 60 percent now after the last angioplasty with the stent compared to 37 percent before that.  -Marvin.