Heart Disease Expert Forum
Effects of Mitral Valve Surgery on Childbearing Potential
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Effects of Mitral Valve Surgery on Childbearing Potential

I'd like to start off by saying "thanks" for this forum.  I've been reading it for two months, and have learned a lot.
  My wife is 25 years old.  She was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse at a young age.  She has no symptoms of fatigue or arrythmia whatsoever.  In fact, she's an extremely active professional in excellent general health.  The MVP is, however, causing severe mitral regurgitation.  Her left ventricle is enlarged to 5.5 CM.  We're currently in a holding pattern -- waiting until it enlarges beyond 5.5 CM before she has surgery.
  Our cardiologist has stated that he's confident her valve is repairable.  However, we're aware that we need to consider replacement options in case it's determined on the operating table that a repair is infeasible.
  We would like to have children in 4-5 years.  I understand that she must have the valve problem remedied before bearing a child. I also understand that implanting a mechanical valve will require drugs which preclude the pregnancy option.  What I don't know is:
  1.  Assuming a successful mitral valve repair, is childbearing possible?
  2.  Generally speaking, are there statistics with respect to the longevity of a mitral valve repair procedure using the standard 'ring" techniques?  (In other words, how long do repair-jobs typically last?).
  3.  Should my wife require replacement, such as a pig-valve or human (cadaver) valve, would childbearing be possible?  if so, how risky is it?
  Thanks in advance for your time.  If anyone has had a similar procedure in the past, and wouldn't mind writing, I'd be interested in reading any e-mails relating your experiences.
  Christian