Heart Disease Expert Forum
Effects of alcohol on angioplasty patients
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Effects of alcohol on angioplasty patients

Dear Sirs,
  I had an angioplasty and stent on the 13th March 1998 due to a 88% blockage in my LAD. My blood pressure,cholesterol and exercise regime is now under control and established. My concern is my alcohol intake. This is typically 2/3 of a bottle of red wine per day for 5 days a week and 3 pints of English beer on the other two.Is this level of alcohol intake likely to have have any effects on my long term prospects. I am 46 years old, did not have a heart attack and exercise regularly.
  Any advice would be much appreciated.

Dear Les,
This level of alcohol intake is excessive and is likely to lead to ill effects on your heart, as well as your overall health.
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.   The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.