Heart Disease Expert Forum
Eikenella corrodens and heart damage
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Eikenella corrodens and heart damage

Hello.

About a week ago, my mom had a stroke. It struck everyone by surprise. She is 55 years old and in good health otherwise. A history of HBP, but it was being controlled with medication. Her cholesterol was barely over 200, and she was always told that her HDL/LDL ratio was good. (Although after the stroke, we were told that her HDL is low.) She led a very active lifestyle.

A couple days ago, we learned that she has a bacterial infection (Eikenella corrodens). I have done some research online, and I now wonder, Could this have caused her stroke? How common is it? How does one get such an infection? Both my mom and I have a nasty nervous habit of biting the inside of the cheek, and I understand that Eikenella commonly resides in the human mouth. Could this have led to the infection?

She is now receiving Rocefin via pick line to treat the infection. The extent of any damage to her heart has not yet been determined. She will soon have a sonogram. Is there anything else we should be doing to treat the infection and ensure that no further damage is done?

Also, on a more selfish note, I am wondering how concerned I should be about such an infection. I was diagnosed with a heart murmur when I was young, and I am wondering about the cheek-biting habit and incidence of Eikenella. My dental health is so-so (I don't visit the dentist as regularly as I should). I have a lot of tightness in the chest (even before my mom's stroke), but I always chalk it up to stress, which I don't handle very well. Now the hypochondriac in me is coming out.

Thank you very much for your time.