Heart Disease Expert Forum
Eikenella corrodens and heart damage

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Eikenella corrodens and heart damage

Hello.

About a week ago, my mom had a stroke. It struck everyone by surprise. She is 55 years old and in good health otherwise. A history of HBP, but it was being controlled with medication. Her cholesterol was barely over 200, and she was always told that her HDL/LDL ratio was good. (Although after the stroke, we were told that her HDL is low.) She led a very active lifestyle.

A couple days ago, we learned that she has a bacterial infection (Eikenella corrodens). I have done some research online, and I now wonder, Could this have caused her stroke? How common is it? How does one get such an infection? Both my mom and I have a nasty nervous habit of biting the inside of the cheek, and I understand that Eikenella commonly resides in the human mouth. Could this have led to the infection?

She is now receiving Rocefin via pick line to treat the infection. The extent of any damage to her heart has not yet been determined. She will soon have a sonogram. Is there anything else we should be doing to treat the infection and ensure that no further damage is done?

Also, on a more selfish note, I am wondering how concerned I should be about such an infection. I was diagnosed with a heart murmur when I was young, and I am wondering about the cheek-biting habit and incidence of Eikenella. My dental health is so-so (I don't visit the dentist as regularly as I should). I have a lot of tightness in the chest (even before my mom's stroke), but I always chalk it up to stress, which I don't handle very well. Now the hypochondriac in me is coming out.

Thank you very much for your time.
Cath,

Sorry to hear about your mother.  IF your mother has endocarditis, which it sounds like she may...her stroke may have come from a part of the infection that moved from the heart into the brain. This is known as embolic phenomenon and can occur with infections of the heart valves.

She should have a thorough investigation of her heart valves to make sure.

Most people with murmmers are not at risk for endocarditis. You should check with your physician. Some murmmers do signify other heart pathology and may need to be investigated further to make sure you are not at increased risk for endocarditis with invasive procedures.

good luck