Ejection fraction/Mitral Valve
Before starting chemotheraphy I had to have some testing done on my heart. Due to the results of the heart testing I was not allowed to have the strongest chemo, but a cousin to the strongest. I was told I had an enjection fraction of 45% at the time and Mitral Valve Prolaspe. Are these two the same...Mitral Valve being the name for how the blood flows. Also, I understand 45% to be a mild condition and was wandering if it decreases over time or stays stable? Since Chemo was the purpose for the heart exam, not much was explained to me about my results, just that for fear of more damage to the heart the strongest available to me was not recommended. Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.
Ejection fraction is the amount of blood pumped into circulation with each heartbeat.  Normal is 55 to 75%.  A low EF is usually due to impaired heart muscle that reduces wall contstrictility.  Whether there will be an improvement depends on the underlying cause of the wall movement disorder. My heart's left ventricle was enlarged and the EF was below 29% (heart failure range), and with medical therapy my heart returned to normal size as well as the EF normalized.

MVP occurs when the heart pumps, the pressure in the pumping chamber bellows the leaflets into the upper chamber causing backflow of blood from the left ventricle into the upper chamber.