Heart Disease Community
Ejection fraction less than 10%

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Ejection fraction less than 10%

My wife was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy on Oct 23rd, 2008 after an echocardiogram showed an enlarged heart and a ten percent ejection fraction.  She is 56 years old, weighs 121 pounds, is in otherwise good health (other than gran mal epilepsy) and suffers from shortness of breath, pain in her back, and a general feeling of pressure on her chest.  She is slated for an angiogram Nov.4. and has been prescribed lasix 10 mg, coreg 10 mg., and potassium. She has had some relief from the medication and can now sleep fairly soundly with less discomfort from shortness of breath. The ejection fraction of <10% seems very low and I wonder if she shouldn't be hospitalized.  Is she in immediate danger of heart failure? Her cardiologist said she would admit her if she wanted to and my wife declined.
Going on 5 years I was hospitalized for an EF12% and congested heart failure.  The only symptom I ever had was a dry couch would lying down (lung edema symptom...felt like i couldn't get enough air!, hyperventilate!) and some shortness of breath.  My edema was classified as mild

An EF below 29% is considered heart failure range.  Congestion of the lungs happens when the heart cannot pump out (weak contractions) the amount of blood rec'd from the lungs.  As a consequence blood backs up into the lungs and fluids leak into pulmonary tissues.  Lasix is a diuretic and helps reduce the fluid buildup.

If your wife's EF is 10%, she is suffering from heart failure.  I went to ER for dry cougfh and SOB, thought it was due to lungs, I was immediately given an EKG, echo and chest x-rays.  The x-ray showed an enlarged left ventricle.  Angioplasy was the next exam and a stent was implanted in RCA, LAD was totally blocked (developed collateral vessels to by-pass) and the circumflex was 72% blocked and not stented.  I was several days in ICU to remove fluids and stabilize my condition.  I was told I had had a silent heart attack...I was shocked, no symptoms, just CHF.

Your wife should get immediate attention to the condition of the low EF, etc. as there is a high probability there could be permanent heart muscle damage without quick attention and treatment of the underlying cause.  The heart cells are not receiving adequate blood/oxygen!
My name is Kim. I was diagnosed in January 1998 with Idiopathic dilated Cardiomyopathy and secondary CHF (congestive heart failure) At that time my ejection fraction was only 8%. Often times I am told 'oh-that couldn't be" or ..."it couldn't have been  that low" but I still have the test results and doctors notes to show those doubting Thomas's that indeed it was 8%. At that time my prognosis was very poor. I learned later, that the doctors had told my husband that they honestly didn't know if I would make it through the week to return to see them the following week. At that time I was living in Alamosa, CO which is approx 3 1/2 hours from Denver - which  is where I was receiving my cardiac care.  I was placed on a heart transplant list and remained on it for 2 1/2 years- (status 2-not in the hospital; but waiting) My ejection fraction had climbed again to nearly 40% and last fall was going down again - In Dec 2007 I had an ICD implanted. This is an implantec cardiac defibrillater. It has 2 purposes it is a pace maker and also a defibrillater just in case my heart goes into a dangerous rythem and needs to be snapped back. - I want to wish you and your wife the very best - and to remind you that through prayer;  ALL things are possible
How old are you. My gma has 15% EF, Atrial fib and CHF but she is 78. I am trying to see her chances. Of course God only knows..
I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 2003 and my EF was 25%, meds helped tremendously, however, recently (August 2012) Ibecame more tired doing simple tasks, vacuuming, taking a shower, climbing stairs, walking small inclines. I had lost 40 lbs so I was baffled.  Had another echo and my EF had dropped to 15% I was referred to a heart transplant center after consultation tests were set up.  a month later I had a right heart catherization, it showed Michael Jackson directions at less than 10%, I was immediately admitted to the hospital and a catheter was placed in my neck and threaded to my heart, Swan.   I have IV meds acting as a pump for my heart, dobutamine and milrinone, I have been placed on the heart transplant list as a 1A, today is day 45 of being in the hospital ICU waiting for a new heart.  did I mention I'm a 45 year old divorced female with two school age children at home so this is extremely hard.   Especially on my children.  I know my heart is coming soon and I have faith and a top transplant surgeon Dr. John Hammond! I an in good hands and Gods hands.
God bless.