Heart Disease Expert Forum
Ejection fraction

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Ejection fraction

After  several  years  of  treatment with vasodilators, and  Coreg,  my  ejection fraction had  gone up to  53 in July 1999;  from September to October I  felt  more  short of breath, and  had  an  echocardiogram done, and  the  ejection fraction had  dropped  to  30;  the  doctor  seemed at a  loss to explain this.. any feedback  appreciated.     Pat L
Often, there is no specific reason that can be found. Possibilities for the deterioration include progression of coronary artery disease and a silent heart attack. Alternatively, the underlying condition that led to the heart failure could be getting worse.
MY 73YO DAD WAS JUST DIAGNOSED WITH CHF AFTER A THIRD HEART ATTACK.  HE HAS QUITE A BIT OF COLLATERAL CIRCULATION IN THE HEART HOWEVER.  I REALIZE THAT THE MEDS HE NEEDS TO BE ON ARE DIGOXIN (WHICH IS THE BEST FORM OF THAT MED GROUP) AND AN ACE INHIBITOR, AS WELL AS PLAVIX AND LEVENOX.  WHAT WOULD LOPRESSOR DO TO SOMEONE IN HIS CONDITION? AND DOES HE NECESSARILY NEED LASIX IF HE DOESN'T HAVE EVIDENT SWELLING IN THE EXTREMITIES?  HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO SEE RESULTS IN THE PUMP ACTION FROM BEING ON THE APPROPRIATE MEDS?  IS A NVG AND ECHO NECESSARY TO CONFIRM OR DIG FURTHER FOR DETAILS THAT MAY GUIDE THE BEST TREATMENT.  HE HAD AN ANGIOGRAM 1 DAY AGO.  THANK YOU FOR YOUR PROMPT RESPONSE.  HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!
I was in the Clevelnand Clinic in 1996 and diagnosed with CHF.  After several months of drug therapy my ejection fraction rose from 20 to 55%.  A couple of weeks ago my echocardiogram showed that my ejection fraction is in the 30 to 35% range.  Do you think that there is much chance of regaining a normal EF with drug theraphy such as Coreg?  Your comments will be appleciated
my husband is 43. in dec. of 99 he was diagnosed with chf, had only 18-20% of heart pumping and was in atrial fibrillation. he has stayed in a-fib for 2 months. he was treated with cardorone, lanoxine, and many more drugs as well as having cardioversion done on 2 occassions. on the 15th of feb. he was cardioverted into a normal sinus rhytham and now has 65% refraction. what are our chances of anything recurring? is this over? what are statistics of anything else happening? we don't know what to expect??
please give us any info.
sandy in LA
My comment on this is very generalized as every person's case and factors are slightly different.  But I would like to say in defense of the cardiologists out there that they usually can't give you an anticipated rate of deterioration for CHF because they just don't know.  I have asked my physicians point blank what my prognosis is, how long before I get worse, will I get worse, etc.  They say they don't know.  Every case is different and there are very few "predicting" characteristics to give them the ability to do this.  

I have finally accepted this as the answer.  I just try to live everyday in a positive way.  Try not to worry about tomorrow or next month or two years from now.  You can make yourself crazy in the head invisioning yourself waiting for a heart transplant and wondering when and if that is going to happen.  I have two small children that I want to see grow up and get married and have kids.  I choose to fulfill my role as a parent now and look forward to the day that they cross all those milestones.  I don't envision myself as an absentee.