Heart Disease Expert Forum
Elevated Heart Rate
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Elevated Heart Rate

I am a 35 y/o female with a history of papillary thyroid cancer (1995) and am on thyroid hormone.  My most recent TSH was 1.8 (normal range, not suppressed).  Back in Nov 1998, I had a 10-day period of having a rapid heart rate (140 bpm) while standing.  When sitting or reclining, my heart rate was normal.  Any normal activity was very tiresome.   I had an EKG, event monitor, and echocardiogram done.  All studies were normal with the exception of noted tachycardia at times.  My cardiologist also stated that I had a VERY mild prolapse.  It was so mild, he hesitated to even mention it and was still called my echo "normal."  This situation resolved itself and since that time I have had brief episodes of rapid heart rate, usually no higher than 120.  It mostly occurs in the morning and is never really bothersome.  I also note that it occurs sometimes after a meal of fatty foods.  I do also have mild reflux and take Prilosec.  Just this past week, I noticed a return of the heart rate.  Again, it never really got above 120, but when it was happening I was in a situation where I felt anxious so I thought that was contributing.  As this week progressed I noticed it was continuing.  Short walks that a normal take a work left me mildly short of breath and the heart was pounding.  Unfortunately, also occuring was a very stressful event and now, this morning, my "standing" heart rate is easily 140 bpm. I vacuumed my family room and felt like I was doing aerobics.  I just took some Inderal to counteract it and it has helped but left me sleepy.  Can a generalized anxiety situation or disorder cause extended periods of elevated heart rate??  I know panic attacks will cause rapid heart rate but it seems for short rates of time.  I am not experiecing panic feelings.  I do go through periods of mild anxiety.  What role does being in the upright position have to do with this?  My heart rate is always quite normal (70-85) while resting.  My thyroid levels are always normal so I can't blame the medication.  Any ideas?